Letter to the Editor

On Jan. 12, Elon Law School held a program to salute the life of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Congressman and A&T alumnus Jesse Jackson, Jr. served as the guest speaker. He began by paying homage to his predecessors. He then highlighted the legacy of Dr. King by admiring his ability to see the greater picture of where America was and where America must go in order to survive. Representative Jackson chose Dr. King’s speech, “Remaining Awake through the Great Revolution,” as a foundation for his lecture.

Congressman Jackson went on to explain how America is currently “sleeping through a revolution”- the fight against poverty, unemployment and the right to education. Giving America more time is crucial to the lasting survival of America. So my question to you: How will you give A&T more time?

As freshmen, we are taught the meaning of our ever-famous motto, AGGIE PRIDE – Achieving Great Goals In Everything; Producing Renowned Individuals Dedicated to Excellence. Our prestigious university has played a vital role in the struggle for civil rights for years! Today, we celebrate the 52nd Sit-In commemorating the four freshmen who risked their lives for all of America. Another example is the A&T/Dudley Protests of 1969 in which A&T students took a stand against then N.C. Governor Robert Scott when he ordered 600 National Guard troops on campus during the protests of a Dudley student. What are we doing to continue the rich legacy and tradition of our university?

Let’s not sleep through this revolution of increasing college tuition and presidential races that feature candidates who do not care about our future! With low retention rates and low academic performance, we are adding to their arguments regarding A&T’s future. We have all heard the rumors of A&T and UNCG combined (which is not correct) and many are wondering how we can stop this from happening. The solution is simple: You MUST take responsibility for yourself. Success is achieved through hard work, consistency, and faith. Rise to the top of your academics while giving back to your university. You MUST own up and take responsibility. The time is now.

Aggies, we MUST do better. A leader is one who knows the way, goes the way and shows followers the way; a true AGGIE is always a leader! As Spike Lee so eloquently put it, “we must WAKE UP!”

Sincerely,

SGA President Christian Robinson

• Christian Robinson, SGA President