Aggies continue to support breast cancer

The Aggie volleyball team now 1-24 overall and 1-4 in conference play return to their home after sweeping Savannah State and winning their first game of the season on Sunday.

A&T is proud to host its annual Dig Pink match today at 6p.m. against Norfolk State who is now 6-18 overall and 3-2 in their conference. The players will be wearing pink jerseys and armbands to help raise awareness for breast cancer.

The Aggies will look to use the momentum from Sunday’s victory to start a winning streak as they head into their final seven matches of the regular season.

“I think today was a day where we learned the importance of finishing. As a team, we normally break down at the end and make it harder for ourselves to finish. We had our moments in today’s game where things may not have gone right, but we endured and pulled out our first win. It feels good,” said senior Andrea Evans.

A&T volleyball has not earned a spot in the MEAC Championship since 2007. The team will have to finish fourth or better in the Southern Division in order to do so. They have played each of their Southern Division opponents once this season, and have five more matches against them.

The Aggies are currently in fifth place in the Southern Division, two games behind S.C. State, N.C. Central and Bethune-Cookman who are all 3-2 in the MEAC after Sunday’s matches.

A&T is 22-8 against the Spartans entering into today’s match. The Spartans are 3-2 in the MEAC Northern Division, sitting in fourth place.

Norfolk Senior Charlotte Armstead leads the team with 271 kills for an average of 3.11 per set. Junior Goda Jankauskaite leads the team with 61 total blocks. Freshman setter Darcy Moore was named MEAC Rookie of the Week on Oct. 8. The Spartans have four players with 100 or more digs and five with 100 or more kills.

Improving from 2011 the Aggies have collected 20 set victories with seven matches to play. In 29 matches in 2011, the Aggies only won eight sets. The Aggies also were able to avoid losing in three consecutive sets in 14 of their 25 matches.

In 2011, only two of A&T’s 27 losses were in four sets. The Aggies also have played in four five-set matches this season–more than in the last three years combined.

The lady aggies are excited to host the Dig Pink match helping to take a bite out of Breast Cancer. In efforts to help support the team and breast cancer awareness head to Moore Gymnasium wearing pink! Donations can also be made to the side-out foundation.

[email protected] and follow us on Twitter

@ATRegister

• N.C. A&T Sports Information