Work hard now, gain experience needed for later

It is the beginning of the school year, and everyone is excited to be at A&T. For some, now is the time to “Turn Up” and live what many consider to be the college experience. 

Now is the time to start planning for your future. Everyone has a job to do, from freshman year to senior year. In order to get where you want to be, one must work now and play later. So get to work.

Regardless of your classification, academics are the key to your success. For freshmen, your first year lays the foundation for your entire undergraduate experienced.

During freshman year, students learn how to juggle a social life without the restrictions of parents, as well as maintaining solid study habits. 

It is important that your GPA is of good standing, because as you get further in your collegiate career, pulling your grade point average up is a struggle.  

Throughout an undergrad’s sophomore year, students break away from general classes and begin their core classes. 

By junior year, students are well into in their major, and are hopefully getting involved on campus to help boost their resume. Also, seeking internships with different companies and organizations will help those that plan on attending grad school.

By senior year you may still have to take some core classes, but not many.  For those considering graduate school, taking the GRE should be a top priority.

Also, by this time, most seniors will begin job hunting. Let’s not forget the reason for attending college, to graduate. 

The mistake many students make is that they wait until senior year to start setting things in place. From the beginning of your collegiate career, you should have an idea of where you want to be upon graduation. 

If you are an undeclared student, take this time to explore your options. Take classes or research subjects that peek your interest. Ask questions, and volunteer at different places where you consider working. Look for internships. Internships are not limited to juniors and seniors.

When applying for an internship, you must do research. No company or organization will bring in someone that has no background history of what they do. 

Some students may think that having an internship without pay is not beneficial, but it pays off in the long run. 

Benefits in having an internship include, gaining exposure, cultivation, and an increase in opportunities. 

Exposure is necessary because if or when applying for a job that requires a certain amount of experience, it is beneficial to have an internship on your resume. 

The more opportunities you get in specific fields, the more confidence you will have, In some instances your internship can give you credit for school. 

In most departments, students are required to have completed an internship prior to graduation. 

Networking is essential. It is not always what you know, but who you know.

According to the National Association of Colleges and Employers, in the year of 2012, 60 percent of graduates who took part in paid internships received more than one job offer where 36 percent who did not take part in an internship received job offers. 

At the end of the day, college is not to be taken lightly.  Sure, the social aspect of college is very important, but there must be a balance when it comes to partying and academics. Indulge in everything college has to offer. Find that happy medium between work and play, and your future will remain bright.

• Meagan Jordan, Opinions Editor