Conservation tips for every family member, whatever their age

(ARA) – The “going green” trend may be just a few years old in America, but it’s definitely not a movement reserved for only the young. Involving all members of the family in a greener lifestyle, no matter their age, is not only a good thing to do for the environment; it can also be a great way to bond with children, parents and grandparents.

“We see families with multiple generations come into our restaurants and stores, and age is definitely no barrier to their passion for environmental consciousness,” says DeAnna Fry of Cracker Barrel Old Country Store. The company emphasizes conservation in its 599 locations, and encourages its stores and their staff to share their environmental knowledge with guests, Fry says. “Young children, senior citizens, teens and tweens, middle-aged couples, young families – they’re all eager to embrace greener products, services and practices.”

Just as businesses implement conservation steps across all levels of their organizations, you can incorporate environmentally friendly habits into your daily life – and encourage all members of your household to participate. From steps as simple as a team approach to recycling to ones as fun and adventurous as growing your own herbs and vegetables, greening your lifestyle can definitely be a “family affair.” Fry and the Green Team at Cracker Barrel offer families some tips:

Lighten your electric load

Reducing the amount of electricity your household uses is good for the environment and it can save you money, too. The average American household spends more than $100 a month for electricity, the U.S. Energy Information Administration reports.

* Turn off lights – Parents and grandparents aren’t the only ones who can do this. As soon as they’re old enough to reach the switch, children should be taught to turn off lights when they leave a room.

* Look for EnergyStar ratings – When adults buy new household appliances, they can look for the EnergyStar ratings that tell them how energy efficient an item is. As a bonus, you can use the shopping experience to help children improve their math and reading skills by encouraging them to read and discuss the EnergyStar labels on items you’re considering for purchase.

* Unplug – Appliances and electronic items drain energy as long as they’re plugged in, even if they’re not turned on. Whenever practical, unplug any device you’re not using. Parents can lead the way by unplugging cell phone chargers when they’re not in use. Grandparents can pitch in by unplugging toasters and other appliances.

What to do about water

* Kids can learn to conserve water by turning off the tap while brushing their teeth or washing their hands.

* Get the whole family involved in water conservation by setting up a rain barrel that can be used to water the family vegetable garden, irrigate the lawn or even wash the car.

* Repair leaky faucets and running toilets immediately. A single drip can waste a great deal of water each day.

Playing it cool

Heating and cooling costs account for the largest portion of a home’s overall energy use. Even the youngest members of the family can help conserve energy by using heating and cooling wisely.

* Parents, be sure ceiling fans are set properly to help maximize your heating, ventilation and cooling system’s efficiency. In the summer, fan blades should rotate left to aid in cooling, and to the right in winter to push down the warm air that collects at the ceiling.

* Adults can help children remember to close doors quickly so that cool air doesn’t escape in the summer and warm air stays inside the house in the winter.

* A programmable thermostat can help reduce energy costs by turning your HVAC system on when you need it and off when you don’t. Parents can help grandparents learn to program these easy-to-use devices to help lower energy bills.

Preserve the past

Cracker Barrel uses preserved farming implements and household wares to decorate its stores. Each location is adorned with about 1,000 items that the company has purchased and preserved. You can borrow this page in your own home. Tired of the same old wall decor and accessories in your home? Why not consider visiting grandma’s attic and asking her to share with you some of the items she treasured as a child or young wife and mother? Identifying, cleaning up and refurbishing memorabilia to incorporate into your household decor can be a great family project.

“The desire to care for our environment really does span all age groups,” Fry says. “And caring for the environment is something that the entire family can do together.”

Cracker Barrel Old Country Store name is a registered trademark of CBOCS Properties, Inc., Reg. USPTO.