Jazz ensemble honors ‘Sir Duke’

The Jazz ensemble is honoring jazz legend Duke Ellington in a concert this week.

The Department of Visual & Performing Arts and the University Jazz Ensemble will be presenting a musical performance entitled “A Salute to Duke” on Thursday at 7 p.m. in Harrison Auditorium.

The first half of the concert features music by other jazz greats such as John Coltrane and W.C. Handy, leading up to the exciting tribute to Ellington.

A&T’s Jazz Orchestra is commemorating Ellington, one of the most popular and prolific composers, pianists and big band leaders in the world.

The concert is directed by A&T Music Department adjunct professor and director of jazz, noted jazz trumpeter and composer Mondre Moffett, who performed with the Duke Ellington Orchestra, from 1995 to 2000.

When asked how the members of the ensemble had to prepare and practice for the concert, Moffett said that they had to internalize the music in order to emulate it properly.

“It begins with listening. They had to understand Ellington’s musical vernacular and know that in order to imitate it, you have to hear it. Once I explained his concept of bringing out the personality of each artist and instrument, they were able to develop a collective sound.”

Some of the students who will be featured are sophomore Eric Giles, who plays alto saxophone, senior Allen Jones, who plays violin, Kasey Polk, a sophomore who plays clarinet, and Eric Meline, a junior who plays tenor saxophone.

There are also three vocalists who will be performing a rendition of “Come Sunday,” one of Ellington’s most famous compositions.

Moffett explained the inspiration behind the concert, saying that he wanted students to connect to Ellington’s work.

“The goal was to relate students with the jazz legacy because Ellington was a pioneer of the jazz concert and was the first to make live jazz a normal event.”

Moffett hopes that the audience enjoys the cultural experience and appreciates the  sound that is connected with Ellington’s excellence.

“He was the first to do a lot of things, and that in itself took courage. We are trying to give the audience some insight into the mystique and magic of the music. When I listen to his music, I hear something different and the point of the concert is to be an example of the wonderful vision that Sir Duke so eloquently put forth.”

General admission for the concert is $10, Non-A&T students are $5 and A&T students are free with their Aggie OneCard.

• laporsha lowry