Cook and Lady Aggies remain perfect in MEAC

The Lady Aggies easily handled the Rams 71-51, despite an unusually poor shooting performance.

This meeting was the first in nine years.”We knew this was a rivalry game and we knew coming into the game that we were 5-0 in the conference,” said head coach Patricia Cage-Bibbs.

The Rams shot at a +9 field goal percentage higher than the Aggies, but attempted 33 less shots.

The blue and gold continued their relentless defensive pressure forcing WSSU to 34 turnovers, but was short of expectations for Bibbs.

“It was 34 turnovers and that is really good for some people. I just saw as a coach some things that we did not do,” said Bibbs.

“I was not satisfied with the defense.”Sophomore Ta’Wuana Cook led all scorers with 27 points, and a game high in eight steals, leading to later honors as this week’s MEAC defensive player of the week.”I’ve just been working on defense because I am not really known for defense, said Cook.”

Cook did not realize her accomplishment until after Monday’s 85-66 victory against South Carolina State.

The Lady Aggies displayed a more improved offensive performance nailing over 50 percent of their shots from the field.Cook recorded the team high 22 points, while four other players finished in double digit points.

Junior Brittanie Taylor-James, who succeeded in this effort, also documented the games only double-double with 15 points and 11 rebounds.

The Lady Aggies 13-5 (6-0) now hold sole possession of the MEAC with the loss Hampton University surrendered Saturday night.

A&T’s women will host Howard University Saturday at 2 p.m..

• Daniel Henderson