The A&T Register wins 12 awards

GREENSBORO, N.C.—The collegiate award-winning newspaper, The A&T Register, recently took home two awards from the 2010 North Carolina College Media Association.

This is the first time The A&T Register has entered the North Carolina College Media Association competition.

The A&T Register placed second in best of show for online, and second best of show for newspaper categories. The Daily Tar Heel took first place in both.

The Daily Tar Heel is considered the best collegiate paper in the state of North Carolina, making The A&T Register the second best.

“We are ecstatic to have placed second behind The Daily Tar Heel. We look forward to knocking them out of first next year,” Emily Harris, Adviser of The A&T Register.

The A&T Register also won 10 awards from the 2010 12th Annual Black College Communications Association Excellence in Journalism Student Newspaper Awards.

“I am really proud of the staff,” says Dexter Mullins, Editor-in-Chief of The A&T Register. 

“This is the most awards we have won in a single year.  We still have the chance to win more.  Everyone worked really hard and deserves a big thank you.”

Below are the winners and the categories in which they received their awards.

2010 College Media Association

•Online News Site, Best of Show Second Place: The A&T Register

•Newspaper, Best of Show Second Place: The A&T Register

2010 Black College Communications Associations Awards

•Best Spot News Story Third Place: The A&T Register, North Carolina A&T, “Welborne Retires”

•Best News Series, Investigative or In-Depth Story First Place: The A&T Register, North Carolina A&T, “Battle Resigns”

•Signed Commentary or Column Writing Third Place: Dexter Mullins of The A&T Register, North Carolina A&T

•Best Editorial Second Place: Dexter Mullins of The A&T Register, North Carolina A&T Oct. 28, 2009 “Where’s CNN’s ‘White in America?'”

•Best Editorial Cartoon Honorable Mention: Evan Summerville, The A&T Register, North Carolina A&T

•Best Editorial/Opinions Section Third Place (tie): The A&T Register, North Carolina A&T and The Gramblinite, Grambling State University

•Best Individual Page Design Second Place: Dexter Mullins, The A&T Register, North Carolina A&T

•Best Informational Graphic or News/Art Illustration Second Place: The A&T Register, North Carolina A&T

•Best Design–Broadsheet or Tabloid First Place: Mike McCray and Dexter Mullins, The A&T Register, North Carolina A&T

•Best Student Newspaper–once weekly or less Second Place: The A&T Register, North Carolina A&T

Background Information

The A&T Register is the official student newspaper of North Carolina Agricultural & Technical State University (NCA&TSU), a historically black university.  NCA&TSU is the largest historically black college or university in the state of North Carolina, is one of the top five largest in the country, and is a land grant institution and a constituent institution of the University of North Carolina. 

The A&T Register was founded in 1893, and is published every Wednesday during the fall and spring semesters by students at North Carolina A&T State University.

The A&T Register has won numerous awards over its history, and is recognized locally, statewide, and nationally as one of the premier HBCU publications.

Former A&T Register reporters, photographers, and editors have gone on to thriving positions in the world of journalism.

• Kenny Flowers