Lady Aggies roll to 10-0 in MEAC

On Monday night, North Carolina A&T women’s basketball team recorded another win to remain undefeated in the conference at 10-0. With ESPN recording the live action from Corbett Sports Center, the Aggies demolished the Hawks of the University of Maryland-Eastern Shore in a 76-46 victory.

Ta’Wauna Cook was the Aggies’ leading scorer with 22 points. MEAC Player of the Week Lamona Smalley recorded a double-double adding 18 points, 13 rebounds, and 7 assists, just three assists away from a triple-double. MEAC Rookie of the Week Amber Calvin added 9 points.

April McBride led the Hawks with 22 points and 10 rebounds.

To open the game the Aggies went on a 14-3 run capped by two 3-point plays converted by Smalley and JaQuayla Berry. Cook added fuel to the fire, sinking back-to-back 3-pointers to give A&T a 20-7 advantage.

With 7:28 to play in the first half a block by Smalley led to another 3-pointer by Cook, who shot 4-for-8 from three-point range.

Late in the first half and early in the second, UMES made a run to get back in the game.After trailing by as many as 17, the Hawks pulled to within 11 with 3:37 left in the half. A&T led at halftime, 37-24.

Trailing by 13 at the start of the second half, the Hawks scored four early points to pull within nine points. But it wouldn’t be long before the Aggies extended their lead again. A&T went on a 10-0 run to push the lead to 19, and from the 11:42 mark, the Aggies would outscore UMES 21-9 to end the game with a 30-point victory.

“Tonight was a really good night,” said A&T head coach Patricia Cage-Bibbs on the win.

“I’m just proud of my ladies. They came out and played well. I’m just very proud.”

Two days earlier the Aggies faced the Delaware State Hornets at Corbett Sports Center. A&T defeated DSU 70-56 in a physical, aggressive game.

Lamona Smalley led the Aggies with 17 points and 12 rebounds. Cook added 12 points and JaQuayla Berry added 10, but the stats for the Aggies were spread across the board.

With 12 points, Cook became the third player to score 1,500 points during their A&T career.

The Aggies got off to a quick start, going on a 16-6 run to lead the Hornets 22-10 with 8:28 to play in the half. DSU pulled to within 10 but would find themselves down 37-25 at the end of the half.

The Lady Aggies never tunred back and soon led by as much as 21 before closing it out.A&T will visit Howard University Saturday at 2 p.m..

• Lauren Morgan