Healthy eating for moms-to-be

(ARA) – Did you know more women conceive during the cooler nine months of the year than at any other time? According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the baby boom that occurs from July to September explains this timing. For all moms who are pregnant, or thinking about getting pregnant, it’s important to have a healthy diet of nutrient-rich foods. By following clear advice from health experts, moms-to-be can ensure their health and boost their baby’s growth.

Experts recommend fish for expecting mothers

Contrary to what you may have heard, eating two to three servings of seafood a week during pregnancy is healthy and safe for you and your baby. A fish-rich diet not only protects your heart but may prevent pre-term labor and depression during and after pregnancy. A single serving of seafood provides almost one-third of the daily protein moms-to-be need in just 100 calories.

The nutrients in seafood are also important for your little one. Fish is full of the healthy fat omega-3 DHA which helps babies’ eyes and brains develop. In fact, seafood, such as salmon and canned tuna, is the only naturally-rich source of omega-3 DHA.

Unfortunately, pregnant women do not eat as much seafood as they should. On average, expecting moms in the U.S. only eat two ounces of seafood a week, less than a fourth of the amount they need. Most women should not only double or triple but quadruple the amount of fish they eat to meet the recommendation.

The expert advice is clear. During your pregnancy:

* Eat seafood two to three times each week.

* Eat a variety of fish. As much as half (6 ounces) of fish consumed each week can be albacore tuna.

* The only fish to avoid during pregnancy are four uncommon species: shark, swordfish, king mackerel and tilefish.

Easy meal ideas for busy moms-to-be

So how does a woman get more fish in her diet? One way is to savor the tastes of autumn with these delicious and nutritious seafood dishes:

*Halibut with red pepper sauce

*Nutty shrimp pasta

*Hickory smoked tuna quesadilla (recipe below)

Round out your meal with vitamin-rich seasonal vegetables like carrots, cauliflower and zucchini.

“For pregnant women strapped for time, look to your pantry for quick and easy seafood meal solutions,” says Dr. Mary Harris, a professor in the Department of Food Science and Human Nutrition at Colorado State University. “Many popular types of fish like salmon, tuna and crab are all available in shelf-stable cans or pouches-and they are high in omega-3 DHA.”

More expert information and recipes

“A Seafood Lover’s Guide to Eating during Pregnancy” was created with registered dietitians and doctors for expecting and new moms to explain why eating seafood is important, how much to eat and how to eat it. The guide is full of delicious and nutritious recipes and snack ideas, including the dishes mentioned earlier, to help you and your family enjoy seafood two to three times a week. Download a free copy at www.healthytuna.com.

Hickory Smoked Tuna Quesadilla

Source: StarKist

This quick and easy recipe combines smoky hickory flavors and crisp peppers and onions for a delicious dinner or family appetizer. Quesadillas are easy to reheat and make for a nutritious lunch, too. Serves two to eight.

Ingredients:

1 pouch StarKist Hickory Smoked Tuna

1/2 cup Colby-jack cheese blend, shredded

1/8 cup green onions, thinly slice

1 1/2 ounces cream cheese, softened

1/8 cup roasted red pepper cut into small strips

2 flour tortillas, burrito size

Directions:

In a small bowl, mix tuna, cream cheese, shredded cheese, pepper strips and sliced onions until blended. Spread tuna mixture on one tortilla shell, to the edges. Top with the other tortilla shell. Spray a large skillet, lightly, with vegetable spray and heat. Brown the shell in the skillet until golden brown on each side, approximately two to three minutes each side. Cut shell into eight wedges and serve.