Looking Into Miguel’s “Kaleidoscope Dreams”

“Kaleidoscope Dream”, the sophomore album from pop/R&B crooner Miguel, had the entire music industry buzzing since its highly anticipated release on October 2nd.

Due to the massive success of “Adorn”, the album’s leading track, the album has been predicted to sell between 55 and 60 thousand units in its first week of sales, according to HitsDailyDouble.com and HotNewHipHop.com.

Miguel’s first album, “All I Want Is You,” was not as successful after its release in 2010, selling a meager 11,000 copies. Although disappointing, Miguel returns even stronger with “Kaleidoscope Dream”, an album that can be enjoyed by fans from start to finish.

The album opens with everyone’s favorite song, “Adorn,” a love song influenced by pop and upbeat R&B sounds. The album’s title track, “Kaleidoscope Dream”, gives listeners a disco feel, incorporating notes from a heavy bass guitar and galactic, space-age sound effects.

Miguel doesn’t fall short of the growing expectation of listeners, who are used to his subtle, yet vulgar lyrics in many of his songs. He reaches this expectation on the album in “Use Me” and “How Many Drinks,” where he contemplates participating in a taboo sexual fling with a female he meets over drinks.

Miguel’s sexual innuendos become very explicit in songs “Arch & Point” and “P**** is Mine”, where smooth syncopated beats, electric and acoustic guitar chords, and smooth vocals contrast with his rugged and direct delivery.

Aside from Miguel’s sexual subject matter, he also discusses various other topics on “Kaleidoscope Dream”, such as drug usage on “Do You.” He also discusses living life to the fullest and enjoying the company of others on songs “Candles in the Sun” and “The THRILL,” which both incorporate pop-inspired rhythms with Miguel’s airy, but strong vocals.

There are no other featured artists on “Kaleidoscope Dream”, which gives Miguel the range to fully express himself and his musical desires as an artist, and also allows him to showcase his talent and strong vocal ability without having to share the spotlight with outside artists.

As his sophomore album, “Kaleidoscope Dream” expresses Miguel’s growth as an artist who has the ability to successfully utilize eclectic sounds in his music. The album can be streamed from OfficialMiguel.com in its entirety, and can be purchased on iTunes.

• Alaetra Chisholm