Happy 119th Birthday A&T

While students were away having fun on their spring breaks, A&T celebrated its 119th anniversary.

North Carolina Agricultural and Mechanical College for the Colored Race was established March 9, 1891 in an annex in Shaw University in Raleigh. Under the second Morrill Act in 1890, mandated by the North Carolina General Assembly, there was a call for separate colleges for the colored race.

The move to Greensboro was made after a group of residents wanted to make the city a permanent place for the college. The name of the college was changed to The Agricultural and Technical College of North Carolina in 1915 by state legislators. It was not until 1967 that the college was changed to a university. A few years later, in 1972 it began operating under the UNC system.

Currently, A&T offers 117 undergraduate degree programs as well as more than 58 master’s degree programs. The university also has Ph.D. programs in engineering, energy and environmental systems and leadership.

While the school prides itself on academic success through its students, it also is home to the largest number of African-American engineers graduates at the undergraduate, masters and doctoral level in the nation. The psychology department graduates the largest number at the undergraduate level. It is the largest HBCU in the state and fourth largest in the nation.

In its history, A&T has had 12 chancellors, including current chancellor Dr. Harold L. Martin Sr.

With over 10,000 students and 2,170 employees, Aggieland is the home to some very historical figures such as Rev. Jesse Jackson, Elvin Bethea, the late Dr. Ronald E. McNair, and the A&T Four- Jibreel Kahzan, Joseph McNeil, Franklin McCain and the late David Richmond.

Because of spring break, the university did not celebrate the anniversary and it is unknown whether there will be a late celebration or not.

• Jasmine Johnson