Angry on the road? Tips to avoid rage behind the wheel

How many times have you gripped the steering wheel in anger when a driver cuts you off? Or honked the horn to get the attention of someone drifting into your lane because he’s too busy fumbling with a mobile phone or the radio to pay attention?

Many times behind the wheel you may want to lash out in anger – lean on the horn, yell, or extend a certain single-finger salute – at another driver. However, you would be wise to keep your anger in check.

A common misconception among drivers is calling your anger “road rage,” according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Aggressive driving is a traffic offense, while road rage is a criminal offense that requires the disregard of the safety of others.

Either way, little good can come of getting angry at other drivers on the road. It may make you feel better in the short term, but it can come at a cost – the NHTSA estimates that aggressive driving accounts for about one-third of all crashes and about two-thirds of the fatalities that result from crashes. Here are some reasons and ways to avoid getting caught up in the anger:

* Start with a good night’s sleep. Ever notice how irritable you tend to be when you haven’t slept enough? Preventing road rage can start with sleeping well – which can improve attentiveness behind the wheel.

* Don’t take other people’s bad driving habits personally. When an instance happens that gets your blood pumping and your hands shaking, count to 10, take deep breaths, and even try singing a tune to get your mind off what happened. There is a very good chance the other driver has no clue about their driving habits, and responding with aggressive driving won’t help to educate them.

* It’s bad for your health. People most prone to anger are almost three times more likely to have a heart attack than those with low anger, according to the American Psychological Association. Being angry will also increase the risk of retaliation – and getting into an accident can also be bad for your health.

* Remember the benefits of keeping calm while driving. Your body will be more relaxed because you won’t be harboring as much tension in your muscles. And there also are legal benefits as well. You can’t be arrested for aggressive driving or road rage if you are practicing safe driving behaviors.

* Get out of the way. If you’re on the receiving end of a horn or an angry gesture that has someone tailgating you because you’ve done something to anger him, it’s best to slide over a lane and let him pass. Speeding up to get away can create a dangerous situation where you may get chased and put others on the road at risk. If it’s safe to do so, you can call 911 from your mobile phone to report a dangerous driving situation.

It may feel difficult to handle some of the emotions that make you angry when you drive, but it’s important to keep them in check for your safety and that of other drivers on the road or passengers in the car.