Kendrick Lamar: Lyrically Taking ‘Control’

“Game changer” and “lyrical assassination” are just a few of the words to describe the mayhem Kendrick Lamar has caused in the hip-hop community after the release of his verse on Big Sean’s track, “Control.” The song itself was not featured on Big Sean’s album “Hall of Fame” because of sample clearance issues.

However, two weeks ago, “Control” was released and the buzz has not stopped yet. Featured on the track is a boastful and gritty sound from the usually melodically calm and rhythmic Kendrick Lamar.

Perhaps the controversy stems from the fact that not only does K. Dot call out his peers J. Cole, Big K.R.I.T., Wale, Pusha T, Meek Millz, A$AP Rocky, Drake, Big Sean, Jay Electronica, Tyler, The Creator, and Mack Miller, but he also proclaims himself as the “King of New York.”  

VIBE magazine raised a valid point since the release of the song.  That point is that there has been no one to truly claim the spot as “King” in the hip-hop community.

Names such as Jay-Z and Nas have typically been thrown around out of default, but neither has stepped forward to claim the title. Since the release of “Control,” there have been non-stop debates via social media platforms about the impact this one minute and fifty-two second verse has made.

Many celebrities and fellow artists have tweeted and or commented in support of Kendrick’s bold move. Sean “Diddy” Combs made a valid argument when tweeting, “Hip Hop was born out of competitions and raised on battles….”

Hip-Hop culture derives from the inner city streets of New York City. Before there were club bangers and twerking, rap music was used as a way to tell stories.

An MC’s skill level was based on lyricism. Rappers gained notoriety for their delivery and consistency.

Some would even argue that hip-hop in some ways has become soft. Twitter beefs and petty club fights cloud the headlines.

There have been many responses from other artists including those who were not even mentioned.  The top contenders so far have included Papoose, Lupe Fiasco, and Joell Ortiz.

Cassidy, who is known as a battle rapper, attempted to take a stab at Kendrick and even, made mention of Meek Millz.

Many fans have looked to other New Yorkers such as Fabolous and Jadakiss for a response but both have remained silent.

In a recent interview with VLAD TV Fabolous called Lamar’s verse an “attention thing.” Perhaps Fab has a point.

Whether right or wrong Kendrick has lit a fuse.Those he has mentioned have chosen not to respond.

Instead they praise his efforts to hold hip-hop accountable. However, have they missed the point?

Competition is a healthy part of the industry. Have artists become complacent and content with mediocre lyrics being carried on beats?

Club bangers and twerking are by no means going to disappear from the industry, but they should not be the nucleus of hip-hop. Sometimes it takes one person willing to stand on the ledge alone to spark a change.

— Email Kourtney at  [email protected]  and follow her on Twitter @KPOP_OfColour

• Kourtney Pope Scene Editor