Aggie Fest: believe the hype?

As the second half of the spring semester began, students were encouraged to “Believe the Hype,” which is the new promotional motto from Student Government Association’s Vice President of External Affairs, Christian Robinson, for this year’s Aggie Fest.

Robinson has worked with students, administration and the Sankofa Administration to try and bring Aggie Fest to full circle April 11- 17.

This year’s events will kick off the 11th at 11:30 a.m. at the Memorial Student Union courtyard. That same night, the Residence Hall Association (RHA) will present their annual dorm step-off; Stomp the Halls at 7:30 p.m. in Corbett Sports Complex.

The following day, April 12, students are invited to a free “Aggie Kick Back” at 4 p.m. in the Union Quad lawn. Also that night, RHA will bring Roll Bounce: Aggie Skate Night at 7 p.m. in Moore Gymnasium.

The University Lyceum Series will also fall during Aggie Fest on Wednesday, April 13, at 7 p.m. in Harrison Auditorium. The show will feature Nuttin But Stringz, a brother duo who both plays the violin. The brothers play a mix of classical music, hip-hop, jazz and R&B. The event is free with an AggieOne card.

Aggies and Poets After Dark will also take place during the 13th in the Memorial Student Union, Stallings Ballroom.

There will also be a Fashion/Comedy show, Thursday, April 14 in Corbett Sports Complex at 7:30 p.m. It will feature Couture Productions, Verge Modeling Troupe and comedian DeRay Davis. The admission is $5.

The next event will be the National Pan-Hellenic Council step show at 7:30 p.m. also in Corbett Sports Complex, Friday April 15. The admission fee is also $5 for students and $8 for the general public.

If the weather permits, the plan is for Aggie Fest to move outside to a central location, Union Quad, for the Aggie Field Day on Saturday April 16 at 11 a.m. Students will have the chance to sign up as individuals or as teams for kickball, dodge ball and tug of war.

Later that evening, the Aggie Fest Concert will be in the Holland Bowl. The concert will feature rappers Dom Kennedy, Big KRIT, J. Gunn and Locke Kaushal.

“A lot of student have come up to me concerning Aggie Fest and the concert,” said Robinson. “They were tired of the usual concert acts and we felt like it was a new age. They [concert acts] fit in the same category, where instead of rapping about usual things, they focus on different matters.”

Gunn and Kaushal are both A&T alumni. The concert will be free for anyone who wants to attend. Robinson wanted everyone to be able to attend without limit, no tickets where they can arrive and leave when they please.

The last event of Aggie Fest will be on Sunday, April 17 in Harrison Auditorium at 7 p.m. for the Gospel Choir Anniversary. The admission is also free.

Robinson picked the events and lineup based on student word of mouth and a poll he created last Fall asking students who they wanted for Aggie Fest.

The budget for the “spring homecoming” is a mix of SGA budget and student activities budget. The student activities budget is made up for both homecoming and Aggie Fest. This year’s budget for Aggie Fest was around $50,000 – $52,000 according to Robinson. Most of that money was spent on performers and to cover some expenses.

Robinson expects to see a big crowd this year, whereas some felt Aggie Fest last year was not as successful as it could have been due to unknown reasons.

“I am looking forward to a good turn out, whether that is from freshmen, or even grads,” said Robinson.

In case of bad weather, all events that are scheduled to be outside will be moved to a different location inside.

• Jasmine Johnson