A&T runs late in victory

With the Norfolk State Spartans coming out the gate with a vengeance to start the first half, Aggie Nation fought diligently throughout the second stint of regulation to pull out the victory 17-13 Saturday night in Aggie land.

The Spartans came out red hot, charging down the field leading to a 30 yard touch down run by Senior Quarterback Dennis Brown giving the team an early 7-0 lead. “They came out with absolute vengeance.” said aggie Head Coach Alonzo Lee after the game. The Spartans accumulated 165 yards of offense while only maintaining possession 13:48 seconds of the entire half.”I thought we started off slow, or Norfolk came out fast,” said Lee.The Aggies regrouped in the last half of the first quarter getting a much-needed boost from kicker Patrick Courtney, making it a 7-3 lead for the Spartans. The Spartans went on to lead 13-3 at the half with a 16 yard touchdown pass from Quarterback Dennis Brown to Junior Wide Out Chris Bell, but failed to capitalize on the extra point attempt courtesy of the tenacious aggie defense.An overthrown pass by Brown led to an interception by sophomore defensive back Quay Long. Senior Quarterback Carlton connected with Wallace Miles with a much needed 25 yard touchdown pass, making it a 13-10 contest just seconds before intermission.Aggie nation would maintain the upper hand rallying up a 61 yard, five play drive with sophomore running back Mike Mayhew running for an 8 yard touchdown run in the early stints of the 3rd quarter. The Aggie defense would hold the fort throughout the second half not allowing any more points to be scored by the Spartan offense. “We know we couldn’t get complacent. We really weren’t reading our keys,” said linebacker Brandon Jackson on the defense being lack luster in the beginning of regulation.The Spartans attempted a final comeback going all the way to the Aggie one-yard line before Brown’s Quarterback sneak was stopped short of the goal line.  They got another crack at the Aggie defense, but an incomplete pass led to the Aggies running out the clock for the victory. After the game, the Aggie players commented on what the win meant for their team.  “Work ethic, adversity, when we’re down, we’re not out.” said Glasper. Coach Lee spoke briefly on why this game’s dynamic was so important for the team stating, “The test of a true man is when your back is against the wall.” The Aggies host Hampton this Saturday afternoon in Aggie Stadium. 

• Carlton Brown