Aggie preps for city election

Students may see a familiar face representing District 2 for the

Greensboro City Council come Nov. 8 C. Bradley Hunt, a senior

political science major, is on the campaign trail to gain support

of the people and replace current D-2 Councilman Jim Kee during the

election in early November.

Students may see a familiar face representing District 2 for the Greensboro City Council come Nov. 8 C. Bradley Hunt, a senior political science major, is on the campaign trail to gain support of the people and replace current D-2 Councilman Jim Kee during the election in early November.

“My candidacy as a student is not only needed, but it is necessary,” said Hunt. “When I think about the local political climate in Greensboro, and how we have a city council that has chosen the vision of conflict over unity and purpose, it informs me that we need new leadership and someone who is going to be accountable and offer true representation of the people.” Since July there have been three candidates on the ballot for the District 2 spot that covers most of east Greensboro including both N.C. A&T and Bennett College. They included Kee, Hunt, and Dan Fischer; however as of Oct. 11 Fischer was knocked out of the race in the city’s primary election.

“It was expected,” said Hunt after hearing he was a contender in the Nov. 8 race. “I really understood that it was beyond me, it is about North Carolina A&T State University, it’s about Bennett College, and it’s about the citizens of District 2 who need a voice and someone willing to take the stand.”

As a Greensboro native, Hunt, 24, says he is no stranger to the issues and concerns of the people. Since a young age, he has been actively involved in community-oriented organizations such as the Greensboro chapter of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP), as well as the Guilford County Community Political Action Community who has endorsed his candidacy.

“I began in the community,” he said. “I’m a life-long resident of Greensboro, so I’m not a transplant, I’ve been there and I’ve been in the community.” Hunt is also no stranger to fighting for a cause he believes in because in May, he was among the five students arrested while protesting at a City Council meeting. At the meeting, the students displayed their opposition of the re-opening of the White Street Landfill -an issue Hunt still believes in today.

Already four months in campaign mode, Hunt say she has seen his fair share of obstacles. Many of his opponents have voiced that his age and inexperience makes him an unfit councilman. Despite that, Hunt continues to press forward.

“My candidacy has enlightened me in so many ways. I have matured quite a bit over these last few months,” he said.

“Many of the people in the city have discounted me because of my age, and my inexperience, and my youthfulness. To me it is disheartening. When you discount me, to me you discount every young person in the city and the nation.” Although Hunt expressed that he wants to bring a youthful touch to the council, he admits that there is a need for students in the area to step up to the plate and get out and vote.

In the Oct. 11 election, 47 student voters made their way out to the A&T’s polling location. Due to this, Hunt says he is determined to get the students engaged, and willing to go out and vote.

“It is so crucial for A&T to become engaged, and go out and vote,” said Hunt. “If the same people are elected, we will be faced with the same issues.” Not all people are as optimistic as Hunt, for in Doug Clark’s Off The Record blog in the News & Record, he stated, “I’d hate to see a city election swayed by college students, anyway. While they’re entitled to vote, as long as they’re not already registered in their hometowns, they don’t have a long-term stake in the community.”

Although Hunt has many people against him, he says he is determined to be the voice that District 2 needs. “Before my candidacy, we really didn’t have voice could not be heard, because we had no one to listen, and so that is something very important to me to give the students of A&T a voice.”

[email protected] and follow her on Twitter @Kelcie_McCrae

• Kelcie C. McCrae, Editor-in-Chief