How to make your home uninviting to thieves this holiday season

Are you heading out of town for the holidays? Perhaps for a family reunion or to visit with friends you haven’t seen in a while? No matter where you’re heading, you’re sure to have a great time. There’s nothing like reminiscing about the good old days with your friends and family.

But before you leave town on an extended vacation, it’s important to have a home safety plan so your house won’t be inviting to burglars while you’re away. While most of us consider the time between Thanksgiving and New Year’s Day the season of giving, thieves consider it the season of opportunity. They’ll go to great lengths to get what they’re after – cash, credit cards and the gifts people have piled up under the tree.

Prevent yourself from becoming a victim by making home safety a priority. Here are some home safety tips that will make your house undesirable for the burglars out “shopping” for a victim.

* Make sure doors and windows are secure.

* If you are going to be out of town for any length of time, make sure your house still looks lived in. Put lights on a timer and ask a neighbor to keep the front of your home clean of papers and debris.

* Cancel any newspapers or regularly scheduled deliveries, like mail. Boxes piled up by the front door are an invitation for thieves to come on in.

* Consider getting an alarm system, and be sure to advertise that you have one. Most security companies will give you complimentary stickers and yard signs.

* Cut the lawns and trim back any plants that thieves could hide behind.

* Make sure your home insurance is up to date. Just in case the unthinkable happens, you want to be covered.

Following this home safety checklist isn’t necessarily a guarantee that your home will be protected, but taking precautions can go a long way. Keeping your house protected and lit up will help to dissuade thieves from visiting your neighborhood, which can make you and your neighbors happy this holiday season.