Aggies seek revenge in Dover

AGGIES MOVE TO SECOND IN CONFERENCE, BEAT HORNETS 33-20

The Aggies of North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University beat Delaware State University 33-20 last weekend at the Alumni Stadium.

Despite the lack of offensive scoring in terms of touchdowns, the Aggies scored quite a few points. This is the Aggies first win in Dover since 2002.

The Aggies got a 30-point head start at the beginning of the game.

In the beginning minutes of the game freshman running back, Marquell

Cartwright had a 4-yard run to give the Aggies (6-2, 3-1 MEAC) a 7-0 lead against the Hornets. D’vonte Grant blocked a punt and sophomore Jerome Beatty recovered the ball to put the Aggies up 14-0.

In the second quarter, the Hornets (2-6, 2-2 MEAC) quarterback, Marlon Kelly’s pass was picked off by Angelo Keyes on a remarkable interception which he returned 55 yards for a touchdown, making the score 24-0. This is the second time the Aggies special teams scored a touchdown this season.

Kicker Cody Jones who went 4-4 on field goals scored the rest of the points.

“Offensively we need to get better, we only scored one touchdown, had great field position most of the day just wasn’t able to get the ball in the end zone,” said Head Coach Rod Broadway.

In the fourth quarter, the Hornets began to put points on the board. They used a 48-yard run from Jamaal Jackson. A pass interference penalty gave the Hornets 1st-and-goal at the Aggies 2-yard line to set up their first score of the game. Lamar Shaw scored from two yards out to make it a 30-7 game with 9:15 remaining. It was followed by of touchdown passes from Gilbert Rivera to wide receivers Milton Williams III and Marquel Knight for 14 and 18 yards.

Leading the offense was running back Tarik Cohen. Cohen recorded 172 all-purpose yards. He also added 144 yards, rushing on 36 carries and 28 yards receiving on 5 receptions. The Aggies have gone 2-1 with freshman quarterback Klugh. He will make his fourth straight start if junior Kwashaun Quick is unable to go. Quick has served as the Aggies holder on extra points and field goals.

Coming into the game the Aggies had not beat Delaware State in the last two years. Coach Broadway said “Like all wins it was a good win. We’re proud of our team for going up to Dover and coming back with a win.”

They only scored thirteen points combined in the last two meetings. That was beat in the first quarter of the game.

The Aggies are now tied for second in the conference with Norfolk State and Morgan State who were both winners on Saturday.

The Aggies will host the Greatest Homecoming On Earth against Florida A&M, who is 2-1 in the MEAC, on Saturday, Oct. 25 at 1 p.m.

— Email Alexis at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter @Darkmultiplexx

• Alexis Wainwright Register Reporter