More changes in Williams Dining Hall

If not already apparent, North Carolina A&T is constantly in a state of change. Whether it’s tuition rising or the construction of a new building, nothing on this campus stays predictable for long.  Williams Dining Hall is a prime example of this.

Over the break the student cafeteria got a huge face-lift as three new stations, the rotisserie, creamery, and vegan section opened, giving diners the chance to expand their palates and embrace new cuisine within the walls of the cafe.

One of the most popular stations since the initial debut has been the creamery.  Much like a scaled back Cold Stone students are allowed to have their favorite ice cream hand-mixed with their favorite toppings right in front of them.  

“I really enjoy the creamery because it gives student’s something we’ve been asking for for a long a time – ice cream,” explained junior political science major from Littleton, NC, Keyana Shyrier.

The idea to bring a rotisserie to Aggieland was inspired by a five star cafeteria in Georgia. “Lots of times if you did not find anything appealing or appetizing in the main entree [line] it’s either the grill or pizza.  In looking for variety and something new, we decided to do the rotisserie.  We thought it’d be a nice flare to have that added,” says Director of Auxiliary Services, Angela Peterson.

“The rotisserie was definitely a good idea and I find myself visiting that station a lot,” says Qamiya DuBose, a junior elementary education major from Greensboro, NC.

The vegan section has also proved itself a hit beyond those who don’t eat meat. “We found out that you don’t necessarily have to be a vegan to eat there but just adding that variety, that made-to-order, gives it that special effect that students are embracing this semester. Just making some small changes in the way we do things has been really supported and accepted from our students,” Ms. Peterson continued.

With it seeming like the cafeteria changes every time students return from an extended break, the Register also learned of the expected additions (and subtractions) coming for the fall 2011 semester.  

The main cafeteria will undergo more ambiance enhancements and remodeling while the back kitchen will be modernized and updated.  

Boss Webster’s will see the addition of a McAlister’s Deli in the fall as well. This nationally branded franchise will provide items such as hot soup, pastries, and Panini sandwiches in the area where Pizza Hut and Power Blendz are currently located. Aggies need not fret, as Pizza Hut will be moved to the Student Union; however, this is the last semester for Power Blendz.

Customer satisfaction surveys, student input from forums, and the food services advisory committee- a unit comprised of 25-30 students- have all attributed to these most recent changes.

• Charles Johnson