Track director inducted into Clemson’s Hall of Fame

Duane Ross, director of track and field, was named to the Clemson Hall of Fame.

Ross is known as one of the most accomplished hurdlers in the school’s history. Ross won the bronze medal at the NCAA Indoor Championships in the 55m hurdles. He also won the NCAA Outdoor Championship in 1995, being one of the only Tigers to win a national championship in a hurdle event during the1994-1995 school year.

Ross was named Athlete of the Year. He was a five-time ACC Champion overall and a seven-time All-American.He received the third-most All-American certificates in the Tiger athletics history.

He was a member of the 2004 U.S. Olympic Team and placed ninth in the 110m hurdles in Athens, Greece. Ross was a four-time member of the U.S. World Championship team, where he earned two gold and two silver medals in the 110m hurdles.

Ross served as the head coach of Track and Field at Methodist University for five seasons. During his reign he garnered numerous awards such as South/Southeast Region Coach of the Year honors in 2011 and 2012 and Methodist University’s Coach of the Year in 2011.

As the Monarch’s coach, Ross had 22 scholar athletes and two Academic All-American athletes. Under his guidance, he also coached women’s sprinter, Ruby Blackwell. Blackwell was named United States Track and Field Cross Country Coaches Association National Athlete of the Year in 2011.

Ross joined the Aggies in 2012 as the director of the track and field program. He oversees and runs the operations of N.C. A&T’s six track and field programs.

Under Ross’ leadership, the Track and Field program has produced elite athletes, such as Desmond Lawrence. Lawrence participated in the 2014 USA Track and Field Championships and finished 25th overall in the 100m with a time of 10.50.

Ross received his B.S. in financial management from Clemson University in 1996.

— J.B.

• Janay Boone Sports Editor