Disorderly Behavior in Greek Organizations

Ashley NwagbaraRegister Contributor:

A fire has started across the United States involving Fraternities and their hazing, degradation, and racism against individuals of different sexes, ethnic groups or religions.

The biggest question of course is, “Why?” the underlying question is: when did this become okay? How long have these terrible traditions and rituals been going on and why are they just now being brought to light?

The most publicized universities so far have been Oklahoma State University, North Carolina State University, Pennsylvania State University and University of Maryland.

Once the Sigma Alpha Epsilon (SAE) Chapter of Pi Kappa Phi Inc. of Oklahoma State University was broadcasted for their racist video, strongly emphasized that they would never accept an African American member, many other universities came out with similar stories. SAE has been under investigation for their racist chants saying the “N-word” in a video. Two SAE members, Levi Pettit and Parker Rice, have been expelled for being seen as playing a leadership role in the video. Although the students claimed they were taught this chant, SAE headquarters said that the song is not a part of their tradition.

President David Boren of the university said there is a zero tolerance level for racism. The fraternity’s house has been closed.

At North Carolina State University, Alpha Tau Omega Fraternity Inc. has been under investigation for allegations on sexual assault and a pledge book revealing obscene rituals and actions done by the members of the fraternity. The pledge book included remarks about rape and racism such as, “It will be short and painful, just like when I rape you,” and “That tree is so perfect for lynching.” N.C. State has suspended this chapter and has banned all fraternity activities involving alcoholic consumption.

A former member of Pennsylvania State University’s Kappa Delta Rho Inc. reported evidence that the fraternity was running an invitation-only Facebook page that not only showed hazing rituals but naked women who appeared to be passed out and drug deals. The chapter has been shut down for a year and is being reorganized.

The most disturbing report comes from the University of Maryland. Sigma Alpha Mu is under investigation because of an email sent out amongst its members in regards to their rush week activities. The email stated, “Regardless of the rush, let’s get ratchet as f— during rush week. My d—- will be sucked and f—– in compound basement whether you guys like it or not … Don’t invite any n—– gals or curry monsters or slanted eye chinks, unless they’re hot … Remember my n——, erect, assert, and insert, and above all else, f— consent no d—- untouched.”

The chapter has been disbanded and the chapter’s officers were criticized for not cooperating with the university’s investigation.

The approach that each school took is vital to the improvement of America where discrimination is concerned. Each university made an abrupt and bold statement of equality for all. This type of behavior has not only been taught to new pledgees, but has been an ongoing tradition embedded in their history for quite some time.

It is important that we respect each other regardless of race, gender, ethnicity, or socio-economic class.