Understanding the political process is important for students

Do you know the difference between the Electoral College and the electric college?

Is it really a college?

Since President Obama was re-elected, will he be receiving an extra four terms or four years?

Do you understand why we do not have a Presidential election celebration every year?

As an American, it would be sensible to grasp at least the most basic understanding of politics and the way that our nation operates.

As college students, we should be enthusiastically engaged in the political process considering the supreme role that it plays in financial aid and job availability.  

The elected candidate can often times determine whether your engineering degree elevates you to the financial altitude of sky-scrappers or lands you in a McDonalds using learned mathematical formulas to serve disrespectful drive-thru customers.

It can also determine whether the few dollars you receive to pay for schooling will be available in the future.

In other words, we should seek to actually understand the platforms of both political candidates instead of blindly making decisions based on who our peers support or what our parents say.  

Too often this past week, I heard my fellow classmates make comments about establishing their voting decision solely on the complexion of one candidate and the complexion of the other.  

Such foolishness displays the prejudice and discriminatory mindset that has plagued and stained our country.

Before voting in 2016, I advise students to do extensive research to understand the ins and outs of policies like Obama Care and the stimulus bill to help make informed decisions.  

A choice based on anything but the political aspirations of both candidates and the possible impact that these aspirations will have on the way in which we live would be ill advised and selfish.

Before casting a vote, know both candidates stances on the country’s most prominent issues.

Is it a woman’s right to have an abortion?

Should the rich get tax cuts?

Are too many people receiving government assistance?

After answering these questions, you should relatively have an idea for which candidate you truly want to vote for.  

You may not agree wholeheartedly with everything that this candidate supports, but you should find a niche within the political spectrum that lands you on one bandwagon or another.  

Overall, I ask that as young adults we open our eyes and realize that the way for us to create change and move forward is to become educated.  

• Kayln Hoyle, Opinions editor