Five tricks to ‘summerize’ your home

(ARA) – Temperatures are rising, flowers are blooming and chirping birds greet us in the morning. It’s official, summer is here. Are your yard and home ready? Here are five surefire tricks to help you prep them for sun and fun:

1. Create sensational seating. With summer get-togethers, you’re always looking for more seating for guests. But that doesn’t mean you need to buy new. If you’re like many homeowners, you probably have miscellaneous chairs throughout your home. It might be a desk chair, a decorative one in the corner of your living room or an old one buried in the attic.

Now is the perfect time of the year to brighten it up with a vibrant, new color – such as lime green, poppy or lilac. All you need is a can of spray paint. And the best part is that you can always easily change the color again for fall with some additional paint.

2. Embellish with accessories. Does your living area look as dreary as the past winter months? Before you say replace your sofa for a refresh, consider the power of accessorizing. Summer is the perfect excuse to hit your local home goods store or even thrift shop for a whole new cadre of vases, throw pillows, framed pictures, baskets and more.

Go in with a game plan. Determine a couple of colors you would like to add and have a set budget in mind. This will help you stay focused and allow you to come home with a whole new look for your living room.

3. Paint for patio perfection. With the summer months, your social calendar may already be bustling with a number of parties and get-togethers. Now is the perfect time to update your deck or patio. If you have a bench, table or planters that have seen better days, consider using a spray paint-primer, such as Krylon’s Dual Paint and Primer, which allows you to prime and paint in one single step – even on weathered metal. To create a more distinctive look, consider constructing a planter bench, which will provide added seating and a home for your stunning flowers.

4. Create lush landscapes. For a truly manicured yard, it’s the small details that make all the difference. For areas where you tend to walk, add large stepping stones to make the path more inviting and help ensure you don’t damage your plants and mulch. If you have large trees in your backyard, consider adding a plant bed covered with mulch around the base to provide a cleaner look and make mowing easier.

5. Find a fun and festive fire pit. Making s’mores over a campfire or creating ambiance for evening drinks is a great way to spend a summer evening. Depending on the layout of your backyard and local ordinances, there are a number of options for adding an evening fire to your summer plans. For a more casual feel, you can dig a pit in a dedicated area of your backyard and finish it with decorative stones and seating. Or, for a more formal fire, try a metal fire pit or chiminea. With the wide variety of styles and colors, you’re guaranteed to find one that matches your backyard beautifully.

These few easy and cost-effective modifications will guarantee you’re ready to celebrate the summer solstice in style. For more projects and ideas for your home, visit www.projectsinacan.com.