MGK, A$AP Rocky and Dillon Francis sit down with college media

MTVu hosted the 2013 Woodie Awards in Austin, Tx on Sunday night.

The awards are a night to honor music college students love while being apart of the South by Southwest (SXSW) media and music festival.

This award show highlights emerging artists and groups in indie and underground music.

Artists such as Mac Miller, Santigold, A$AP Rocky and Frank Ocean have won Woodies in past years.

Rapper Machine Gun Kelly (MGK) and pop duo Tegan and Sara hosted the awards.

The night was set with performances from Zedd, who performed his house music infused single, “Clarity,” to Twenty One Pilots who performed “Holding On To You.”

Other performers included Macklemore and Ryan Lewis as well as hosts, Tegan and Sara occurred.

A$AP Rocky, Machine Gun Kelly, Dillon Francis and executive producer Eric Conte had an opportunity to talk to college media around the country about the show.

Electronic dance musician, Dillon Francis, began his career in 2010 and has impacted the industry with his own genre of music entitled, Moombahton, A fusion of house music, reggaeton and moombahcore.

Francis wants to bring awareness to his style of music to the world.

“For me, I’m going to keep doing what I’m doing and making music that I love the most,” he said.

Francis has developed and worked with other house music artists such as Calvin Harris, and thanks supporters who have helped him along the way.

“MTVu helped me a lot from showing my music videos and it helped me with creating and building an fan base,” said Francis.

After his debut album “Long .Live. A$AP,” rapper A$ap Rocky has made his stamp on the industry with his hit single “Problems” in the MTV rotation.

“I’m still developing as an artist,” he said.

“I’ve been in a lot of production and creating my own beats.”

A$AP Rocky continued about how rappers used to only rap while DJ’s handled the instrumental music, but he wants to bring diversity to his music across the board by having a hands on role in both aspects of his music.

Rocky did not win “Woodie of Year”, but he feels honored to have been nominated against Kendrick Lamar and Machine Gun Kelly.

MGK won the prestigious “Woodie of the Year” award.

“This is a biggest honor to be nominated for,” said Kelly.

“These awards really mean a lot to me.”

MGK was grateful after winning the “Breaking Woodie” award last year and hopes to take another home next year.

• Erik Veal, Editor-in-Chief