Dangerous drinking: When one is not enough

(ARA) – Drinking is often a fixture of social activities for many adults, especially during the holiday season and into the new year. While many people can enjoy a beer after work or a glass of wine with dinner and stay in control, others may have trouble drinking within healthy and sensible limits. People who cannot stop after a drink or two can place themselves and others in serious danger, and can even become addicted.

Drinking responsibly does not mean masking intoxication, as the common expression “hold your liquor” implies. In fact, enjoying a moderate amount of alcohol without overindulging means having no more than two drinks per day for men and one drink per day for women and older people, according to the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism.

Alcoholism and alcohol abuse

Alcoholism is a form of drug addiction and a serious, chronic disease. Alcoholics are both physically and mentally dependent upon alcohol. Similarly, “alcohol abuse” means your drinking is excessive and interferes with your life, even though you may not be physically dependent. In the United States, one out of 12 people abuses alcohol.

Someone who is addicted to alcohol:

* Feels an uncontrollable need to drink.

* Can’t stop drinking once he or she has started.

* Has physical withdrawal symptoms (nausea, sweating, shaking) after stopping.

* Needs increasing amounts of alcohol.

Getting help

The good news is that alcoholism is treatable. However, the person with a drinking problem must be willing to get help and change his or her behavior, which can include seeing a counselor and seeking medical treatment. The person may even need to check into an alcohol treatment center for days or even weeks to fully get on the road to recovery. Twelve-step support groups like Alcoholics Anonymous can also help recovering addicts focus on staying sober, and family therapy can support the healing process.

“If you are worried about a loved one’s drinking habits, remember that covering up for them doesn’t help in the long run,” says Gene Baker, Ph.D, vice president at OptumHealth Behavioral Solutions. “Choose a time when your loved one is not drinking, and talk it over as calmly as you can. If they agree to get help, call your health provider right away.”

Recovering from alcohol addiction is not easy, but it is possible. For more information on healthy habits, visit www.Facebook.com/myOptumHealth.