Why you need to insure your home, no matter where you live

Whether you live in a condo, rent an apartment or own the house you live in, your home is your castle – and it could be at risk if it’s not protected properly.

No matter how vigilant you are, disasters can happen, from burglary and vandalism, to fire and storm damage. The right kind of property insurance policy can help protect you from loss, regardless of where you live. If you own the home you’re living in, you may want to consider homeowner’s insurance. If you live in a condominium, you’ll want to look into insurance for condos. Finally, if you live in a rented apartment, you may need to get renter’s insurance.

Here are a few things you should know about the different types of insurance that cover different kinds of homes:

Homeowner’s insurance

If you have a mortgage, your lender will require you to carry homeowner’s insurance. In fact, this type of insurance is vital, even if you own your home free and clear. That’s because homeowner’s insurance typically covers the cost of replacing your house and its contents due to damage or loss from storms and weather, explosions, fire, vandalism, theft and plumbing problems. You can easily get online home insurance quotes to make it simple to comparison shop for homeowner’s insurance.

Condo insurance

Insurance for condos can be confusing because, while you own your unit, the building that houses it is owned by an association. As a condo owner, you may be unsure what your responsibilities are, and what the association is responsible for in terms of insurance. Before you buy any insurance, you may want to check with the condominium association’s master policy to see what coverage you need, and what is already provided by the association’s policy.

Renter’s insurance

Even if you don’t own the home you live in, you may want to purchase insurance for renters to protect your property. Your landlord likely has insurance on his property – the house or apartment you’re leasing – but his insurance probably won’t cover your losses in the event of theft, fire or other disasters. Renter’s insurance typically covers your property both in your apartment and away from home, and can help you pay to replace belongings that are lost or damaged in a covered event.

Regardless of what type of home you live in, it pays to insure your property – so your home can remain your castle, where you and your belongings are safe and protected.