Considering college? Overcome common challenges on your way to something great

(ARA) – Whether you are fresh out of high school, hoping to start college for the first time or thinking about returning to college, it’s not a decision that can be taken lightly.

The time and money that goes into furthering your education can be daunting. However, since earning a college degree will ultimately lead you to achieve a more stable and rewarding future, you will likely not regret your decision to enroll and take your skills to the next level.

Many prospective students face similar challenges when thinking about post-secondary education options. Ben Simms, vice president of admissions at Westwood College, identifies the five most common challenges he hears from students and how they overcome them.

1. Fear or lack of confidence

You may feel apprehensive because your past school experiences haven’t been positive. If you can identify why you haven’t succeeded in the past and identify what style of learning fits you best, you’ll be in a better position to succeed and feel more confident in college. For example, if you’ve had a hard time in a traditional classroom setting, but excel at hands-on learning, look for colleges that offer that type of training. In fact, nearly half of all new Westwood College students have attended other colleges and universities prior to enrollment, and many are looking for a more hands-on education.

2. Lack of support

For some, family or friends may not value education enough to provide the proper support for the person heading to college. If you find yourself in this position, look for a college that offers a support system through counseling resources, free tutoring and mechanisms to network with teachers and classmates.

3. Worried about paying for college

Many people entering college have little or no money saved to help pay for tuition or books. For these students this means taking out loans to help pay for their education. Before you enroll, sit down with a financial adviser or a professional at the college you want to attend to make sure you understand all of your financial obligations as well as your finance options. Knowing what your monthly payments might look like once you have earned your degree may help give you peace of mind going forward. Also, check with your college to see if you might be eligible for grants or scholarships.

4. Uncertain the investment will match the return

Many prospective students often wonder whether their hard work and money spent on college will pay off after graduation in the form of a well-paying, enjoyable job. When looking for colleges, make sure to identify an institution that is committed to helping students find employment once they graduate to add assurance to your investment. Also know that the first job after college may not include a high salary – but over time an individual’s salary can increase significantly.

5. Balancing college with life’s other obligations

College is a major commitment for everyone, especially those who have family or work commitments while attending. There’s no question that finding and maintaining a life balance is challenging, but many students find a way to get it done – whether it be through flexible scheduling or by taking some courses online.

Araceli Hurtado, a featured Westwood 100 graduate, can relate to many of these challenges, and then some. When Hurtado chose to pursue a criminal justice degree, she was already working a full-time job as an office manager in the restaurant industry. She wanted to pursue a career she enjoyed and could be proud of, but needed a program that would provide the flexibility to work and attend classes simultaneously.

“Achieving a personal goal of earning a degree takes true commitment, no matter what obstacles life throws in front of you,” she says. “I am grateful for the support that I received from my instructors and friends and am proud of what I have been able to accomplish by making education a priority in my life.”

After earning her degree, Hurtado got a job working in a violence prevention agency and is doing what she loves. She was showcased in a February 2010 New York Times article for outstanding work in the community. Her advice for current students as well as anyone thinking about pursuing a degree is to establish solid, lasting relationships with instructors and classmates and get involved in as many networking opportunities as possible. She credits networking as the key to her success during and after her time in college.