Dos dedos!

My name is Anjan Basu.  None of you should know who I am.  I am a graduate student and my graduate assistantship is as the Chief Copy Editor for the newspaper.  My job is to proof and edit everything that goes into the paper.  I’ve also tried to make the staff better writers. 

This is my second time graduating from A&T. The last time was with my B.A. in 2003.

Fast-forward seven years and I’m married, house, dog, and BOGO on the way (somehow, my wife is carrying twins).  And I’m walking away from this place with a M.A.  When I look at my life right now, before I walk again, I’m overwhelmed with my blessings.  At times, I feel slack-jawed and starry-eyed.  But, I remind myself to never stop being thankful about being thankful.

To the staff of The Register, I will sincerely miss you.  I know that I had to be a shock to your system, but after a while, I think we all learned how to work with each other.  We put out a great product every week, on time.  The fact that we worked with each other for two years, and won crazy awards, means something. 

I know we’re all friends on Facebook, but I’m terrible at keeping in touch.  Even if we don’t speak again for the next 5 years, if you ever need anything, the Basu home is open to you. You can drop by unannounced, it’s cool.  I believe in all of you.  I fully expect each of you to be wildly successful, but more important, happy.  If you are not, I will yell at you till you decide to be happy again. I’m dead donkey butt serious.

To all the people that are getting this Master’s in English/ African-American literature, I am thankful that I had such great companions to walk this path with me.  To my professors: “O Captain, My Captain.”  Anything you say is a good idea, I will follow eagerly.  My most humble gratitude is reserved for you all.

A&T never stopped believing in me, even when I was giving them plenty of reason to give up.  I was a terrible student. 

I didn’t work hard. I had no work ethic.  I managed to squeak through everything, and just barely.  And what was worse, I was cool with it.  But I’m grown now. I pay property taxes and push strollers.  If you believe in yourself half as much as A&T, you might be OK in life.  Be proud about yourself. Do your work. Your job is being a student.  Come to work, and do work. Everything else will work itself out.Shouts to ENGL 101, section 016. Ya’ll were real fun this year.And…I’m out.Anjan (20 Questions) Basu 

• Anjan Basu