Black Hollywood rules prime time this season

Black Hollywood is taking over television this fall. Returning and new series feature an array of Black actors, producers and directors. Tracee Ellis-Ross will be returning to our screen this season, as well as Kerry Washington. Comedian Anthony Anderson will be producing a highly anticipated sitcom for ABC entitled Black-ish. Primetime is full of color this fall!

ABC Network’s “Scandal” is set to return Sept. 25 for its fourth season. “Scandal” is an American political thriller, starring Kerry Washington as Olivia Pope. The third season of “Scandal” left viewers on edge and the Gladiators are revved up for its return! Columbus Short, who starred as Harrison Wright on the show recently announced that he would not be returning to the show after he was allegedly charged with misdemeanor spousal battery and felony battery. 

The new Starz crime drama series, “Power,” executively produced by Curtis “50 Cent” Jackson, renewed for a second season and is set to premiere in September 2014. Ghost, played by Omari Hardwick, a wealthy night club owner plans to take his club to the next level while he struggles with living a double life as a kingpin of a drug empire. 50 might have struck gold with this series. From the gritty filmography, to the suspenseful story line, this is a perfect drama series.

Many people are familiar with VH1’s “Love and Hip Hop Atlanta” and the New York spin off, but “Love and Hip Hop Hollywood” is coming to a channel near you! LLH Hollywood stars R&B singers Omarion and Ray J, along with rapper Soulja Boy. From the previews, it seems like viewers will get a glimpse of Omarion’s relationship with his girlfriend and mother of his first son. Seems O’s mama does not care for his baby mama too much. The two ladies had words in the preview. Soulja Boy’s girlfriend, who is new to the industry, and Ray J’s love triangle drama with singer Tiara Marie are highlighted in the season as well. Hold onto your seats!

ABC’s new family comedy series, “Black-ish,” starring Anthony Anderson and Tracee Ellis-Ross, is set to premiere on Sept. 24. Andre Johnson, played by Anthony Anderson, has a great job, a beautiful wife and four kids, who live in a nice home in the suburbs. Johnson struggles with his family adapting and assimilating to the world around them while he tries to keep them rooted in the idea of black culture. This should be fun!

B.E.T finally picked up “The Real,” a talk show with five dynamic lady co-hosts, and fans are excited. From topics like beauty, fashion, relationships to current events, “The Real” is a daily mix of passion and humor. The show is led by five lovely lady co-hosts: Tamar Braxton, Adrienne Bailon, Loni Love, Jeannie Mai, and Tamera Mowry-Housley. With their dynamic, unique, outspoken perspectives, these five lovely ladies have remixed the idea of a traditional talk show. 

Fall television has “blacked out!”

—Email Mija at [email protected]

• Mija Gary Register Reporter