The Dream introudces ‘Terrius Nash,1977’

Besides writing hit songs for

Beyonce (“Run the World (Girls)”, “1+1”) R&B singer, The Dream,

has been relatively quiet since his publicized separation from

fellow R&B songstress Christina Milian.

Besides writing hit songs for Beyonce (“Run the World (Girls)”, “1+1”) R&B singer, The Dream, has been relatively quiet since his publicized separation from fellow R&B songstress Christina Milian.

On his latest effort, 1977, The Dream wastes no time addressing his lost love on the opening track “Wake Me When It’s Over,” where he boldly states, “everyone knew it was over,” between him and Milian. He continues to share his side of the story on “Used To Be,” a song that any man who has had a long-term, insecure girlfriend can relate to and “Long Gone,” two equally strong efforts.

The album’s momentum slows down with “Ghetto” featuring Big Sean, a song that would be more fitting in rapper Plies’ discography.

The energy of the album comes to a screeching halt with “Wedding Crasher,” where The Dream drunkenly interrupts the wedding of his ex with this bitter anthem. The following track, “Rolex,” is a weak attempt at the, “insert expensive item in front of ‘music’,” phenomena heard in “Maybach Music,” “Aston Martin Music,” “Ferrari Music,” etc. These particular tracks are sloppy attempts at the hits that fans are accustomed to hearing from The Dream.

Things begin to turn around with the introduction of his new artist, Casha, who gives a beautiful rendition of the classic Deniece Williams song “Silly”.

The album’s most personal moment comes in the title track “1977 (Miss You Still),” a ballad dedicated to his late mother.

Undoubtedly, the most energetic track is “This S___ Real N_____”. With an infectious beat, The Dream shows off his rapping skills and Atlanta roots alongside rapper/producer Pharrell, who steals the show with a verse that would make your favorite rapper reconsider their profession.

Overall, if you’ve been a fan of The Dream since the beginning of his career, you will appreciate this solid effort. However, if you were expecting a “baby I want you back” type of standpoint from this record, you will have to look elsewhere. Throughout the album, The Dream shows no remorse for the spilt between him and Milian, but instead blames her and paints her as bitter and unappreciative.

Perhaps we’ll hear a more regretful Dream on his upcoming release, The Love IV: Diary of a Madman.  If you have never heard an album from The Dream and you are a fan of brutally honest, unorthodox, and non-pop music, this album is worth checking out…not to mention it’s free.

• Franklin Foster, Contributor