Texas company performs at A&T

This season the Lyceum Series at North Carolina A&T has featured The Sphinx Chamber Orchestra, journalist Roland Martin, and just last Wednesday, the Dallas Black Dance Theater.

This series brings some of the most renowned cultural and artistic acts to Harrison Auditorium for the enjoyment of students, faculty and community members alike.

The bottom of the theater was filled as the DBDT took the stage. DBDT is in its 33rd season and is the oldest operating professional dance company in Dallas, TX.

The company’s new piece “Beams from Heaven,” made its World Premiere 2010 debut for the A&T audience.  Chancellor Martin and his wife, who use to be a dancer herself, were attendance to the night’s event.    

“I saw in the Lyceum series pamphlet that this event was also being featured and because I like arts, theater, and dance I knew this would be a good thing to experience. When I was younger I use to be in a dance troupe back in Connecticut so I’ve always had a passion for dance,” said Radiah Pickney, an A&T alumna.

The pieces the company performed were humorous, dramatic and thought provoking.

A combination of clever costumes, lightning and of course brilliant choreography and dancing made for a spectacle of eclectic dance celebration.

At intermission Pickney commented, “The show is phenomenal, fantastic hands-down. I wish everybody could be here. I am thoroughly enjoying myself.”

Cortney Key, a sophomore Liberal Studies major with dance concentration explained her connection to the Dallas Black Dance Theater.

“I had heard about it, I saw a flyer on the dance department door, and I had seen pictures of them in the 7th grade. I’ve always wanted to see them and I’m glad I had this opportunity. As a dancer, I like the stories that the dances tell … the choreography, the levels and dynamics of the movement. I think they are a good company.”

One of the most memorable dances of the night was Awassa Astrige/Ostrich.

It was performed by one of the company’s current 12 members, Christopher McKenzie. This dance is critically acclaimed worldwide and has been performed by several professional dance companies since its creation in 1932 by original choreographer Asadata Dafora.

In this piece, the dancer imitates this powerful bird in a combination of traditional African, contemporary, and classical movement, to the music of drums.      

“I really like the ostrich piece, the essence of it. It was powerful and spoke to me,” Key said. “The ostrich was sexy and sensual.”

McKenzie, the solo performer of this dance with the DBDT is a native of Miami, Florida.

He attended the New World School of the Arts, majoring in dance with a minor in English.

“This is my second year in the company, I started dancing at about 18,” McKenzie commented.

“So I started late and I’m only 22. I’ve been blessed to really move forward, but that’s because my work ethic is a lot different from what other people do, I work hard, I work ‘til I get it. And I just love to be pushed.”

“My favorite part about ostrich is you get to bring your own personality to it. You become the king of birds…you can lose yourself in it … you get to be more free. It’s a blessing to be able to do that and I was one of the only people to be casted for it. This is my first company and it’s been a great company to me. They all want me to pursue, so within the next two years I will probably be moving on to another company, just auditioning and hopefully I will find as much love where ever I end up as I do with the Dallas Black Dance Theater.”

• Alessandra brown