How to find the perfect gift for the special women in your life

(ARA) – What woman in your life has most influenced you? Perhaps your mother, who has guided you since childhood. Or maybe it’s your grandmother or wife who has supported you during your most unforgettable moments. Whoever this special woman might be, you want to celebrate and recognize everything she’s done for you.

A birthday, personal anniversary or even Mother’s Day is the perfect day to celebrate the women in your life. In fact, after the winter holidays, Mother’s Day is the second largest U.S. consumer spending holiday, according to the National Retail Federation. Everyone loves to shower Mom with gifts, and jewelry proves to be a popular choice – 26 percent of shoppers say they plan to buy their mothers a gift of jewelry.

Shoppers are not just buying for their mothers, but also for stepmoms, wives, sisters, daughters, grandmothers, friends and godmothers. No matter what woman has made a difference in your life, celebrate her on this special day and throughout the year.

The No. 1 rule for buying a great gift is to keep individuality in mind. Try to find something that celebrates her uniqueness, such as her likes or personal accomplishments, or even better a special time you shared together. Here are some one-of-a-kind gift ideas to celebrate the women who have made a difference in your life:

1. Make a family cookbook

Do you remember baking cookies with your grandmother as a child? Or how about when Mom helped you make stuffing the first time you hosted Thanksgiving dinner? If food means love in your family, consider making a cookbook of favorite family recipes. Scan or type up handwritten recipe cards and bind them together into one book.

2. Create a china mosaic

Make a mosaic using some of Mom’s or Grandma’s old dishes that are chipped or cracked. It’s a great way to keep a pattern or color of china she loves within the house. You can find mosaic supplies at your local craft store for affordable prices. Consider adding a mosaic design to a platter, pot, vase or a photo frame.

3. Celebrate with jewelry

Choose jewelry that celebrates the uniqueness of your loved one or a special moment you’ve shared. High-quality, hand-finished charm bracelets work well because they offer endless opportunities (and occasion after occasion) to personalize. For example, Pandora has more than 800 hand-finished charms of varying sizes, shapes and colors so the options for bracelet design are practically limitless. Select different charms for 14 karat gold, sterling silver, two-toned, braided leather or colored cords bracelets. Choose from 14 karat gold, sterling silver or two-toned charms, adorned with colored enamel or precious stones, to represent special moments you’ve shared. Talk about the meaning of each charm when you give this special gift. A charm bracelet can be built on as years go by and it’s sure to become a cherished keepsake.

When picking out jewelry, keep in mind the following tips:

* Does she prefer gold or silver?

* What are her favorite colors?

* What makes her unique as a person?

* What style of jewelry does she tend to prefer?

4. Create a photo book

Take your favorite images and create a professional-looking photo book to celebrate all of your special moments together. Don’t feel creative enough to do this by hand? There are several websites that let you design your own book online and order high-quality copies for a reasonable price. This is a great way to archive photos in a beautiful book she can flip through whenever she wants to reminisce.

5. Give a little rest and relaxation

Put together a do-it-yourself spa basket for your loved one using healthy, natural ingredients. Add some of her favorite things to the basket as well. For example, in addition to bath and beauty goodies, include books or magazines; a CD or iPod filled with her favorite music; a scented candle or soft slippers. You might also consider giving her the most recent release of her favorite TV show or movie on DVD.

Whether it’s Mother’s Day or her birthday, or any other time of year you choose to celebrate the women who have made a difference in your life, a gift that incorporates something personal and unique to her is sure to be a favorite for years to come.