Basic Chick Syndrome on Campus

Time after time the girl power movement has made appearances in pop culture, climbed the Billboard charts, motivated women, and then takes a backseat to all the drama we allow to cloud our judgment. We saw it in the 90’s with the Spice Girls who started it all. Then there was Destiny’s Child with “Independent Women” in the early 2000’s. Later in the 2000’s Beyonce gives us a smash hit “Runs the World”. What happens in between the time of those girl anthems? One word describes it all, drama.

How is it that as young, beautiful, talented, and intelligent college women allow ourselves to lose our way? We forget why we really came to college and lose ourselves in small stuff. Before you know it, you are at the bottom, looking up, and trying to figure how you got yourself here. We have some young women who cannot help themselves. They let one insignificant person gain so much power over them. These women are most likely suffering from B.C.S. Basic chick syndrome. This is a serious epidemic.

We all know the type. If they are not single they usually have a jerk for a boyfriend. They say they want better, but they continue to stay. In some cases they do not have a life outside of their man. In the more severe cases, these women suffering from B.C.S. are usually the ones tweeting, “what’s the move,” and it’s a Monday night. How about the move is to Bluford Library to study for that test in that class that you might only show up to twice.

B.C.S. is not always so easy to detect, but there are symptoms to look out for. In most cases patients suffering from B.C.S. are the ones who reply to those “you still up?” messages at 3 A.M. They are also the ones who leave nothing to the imagination when dressing, but are confused when they are not treated like a lady. Even more common are the ones who confuse their tight, see-through leggings with pants and then complain about the looks and blame it on “the thirst”. You say you are a lady, done with the drama, and or want some respect, but your outfit choices and the way you carry yourself contradicts that entire statement.

We are young ladies. Nine times out of ten the Stevie J wanna-be that you are chasing after now will be the one at the clinic, with 10 kids, or still at A&T trying to “make moves” after everyone has graduated. Let’s graduate with a B.S. instead of settling for it. Strive to be someone’s boss not someone’s basketball wife. Champagne dreams won’t put food on the table with a beer budget. If you or anyone you know is suffering from B.C.S. please seek treatment in the form of a rude awakening and or smack to the face immediately.

• Kourtney Pope, Contributor