Stay safe at the shopping mall this holiday season

It may be the season to be jolly, but it’s also the season to be careful. The Christmas season is the busiest time of year for thieves, according to a recent crime scene blog.

Thieves know the malls will be packed with people scrambling to get their holiday shopping done, and many of them may become forgetful, leaving their car doors unlocked with packages and purses on the seats. Here are some Christmas safety tips to help keep shoppers safe:

* Shop safely. Watch your personal belongings at all times, including handbags and purchases. The stores are not responsible for any lost items so be careful, especially at the register when you can get easily distracted by the transaction itself.

* Be vigilant. Stash your cash in a safe place within a wallet while shopping. When paying with cash at the register, only pull out of your wallet the exact amount you need, not the entire stash. And never leave a purse unattended in a shopping cart. If you do that, you may be asking for trouble. Opportunistic thieves are likely watching.

* When parking in a large parking lot, be sure to keep all items in the trunk of the car. Never leave packages or bags in plain sight on the seats. If you want to drop off a load of bags at your car, consider driving it to a new location as well. This way, a potential thief sitting in the parking lot can’t watch you unload your purchases and walk away, leaving them behind in the car.

* Park near a well lit area if you know it will be dark by the time you are done shopping; and don’t be afraid to ask a security guard to escort you to your car.

* Take your keys out of your pocket or purse before heading to the car so you’ll be able to open the door quickly. If you don’t, you may have to drop packages on the ground to find them, and that can be an invitation to thieves to come swipe your stuff.

* Shop with a friend or family member who can help you keep an eye on all your belongings. Help her to keep watch while standing in line at the registers, weaving your way through crowded aisles and while transporting bags to your car.

Hopefully these holiday safety tips will help prevent you from falling victim to a crime of opportunity this holiday season. And you will be able to fully enjoy celebrating the rest of the season with your family.