Aggies split games in weekend home stretch

Morgan State (16-7, 8-0 MEAC) showed the Aggies why they are the number one team in the conference Monday night, beating A&T 74-65 at Corbett Sports Center.

The Aggies made a few late runs but it seemed as if every time they came within a field goal of tying the game, MSU would hit a clutch bucket. In fact, the Aggies had the lead once the entire game, early in the first half.

A&T has struggled to score consistently in the first halves of their games this year. They shot just 18 percent from three-point range in the first half, going 2-11 and they trailed 37-28 at the break.

The Aggies shot the ball better down the stretch and were able to increase their offensive productivity. They were unable to slow down Morgan’s attack however. The Bears continued to get to the free-throw line, and outrebounded the Aggies.

MSU’s Kevin Thompson  finished the game with 20 rebounds himself. as they outrebounded A&T 51-33 for the game.

These were some of the things coach Jerry Eaves pointed out as to what his team could do better. “We have to work on that aspect to where we can hit shots consistently, box out better with their smalls, get into transition, a little bit more lay-ups, and then we just have to continue practicing our free-throws,” Eaves said.

In the second half, Morgan’s all-conference guard Reggie Holmes continued to knock down clutch baskets and helped to put the Aggies away. A late Dwane Joshua 3-pointer made the score 63-57 but Holmes answered on the other end with a three of his own.

Then when Nic Simpson made it 66-60 with another 3-pointer, Holmes drove baseline and put the nail in the coffin. He finished the game with 26 points.

“We had opportunities we just couldn’t make the play when we came within three,” said coach Eaves. “It’s hard to win games when you shoot 41 percent from the field.”Tavarus Alston led A&T with 23 points and 3 assists. Thomas Coleman added 11 points and 8 rebounds.

Due to the snow that swept across the state on Friday night, Saturday’s game against Coppin State was rescheduled to Sunday. They defeated the Eagles at home 67-62. Alston and forward Robert Johnson combined to score 33 points in the victory.

This would have been a chance for the Aggies to string together back-to-back wins for the first time since Nov 23 when they beat Middle Tennessee following a victory against Davis & Elkins.

The Aggies will play their next two games at home. They host Delaware State on Saturday at 4 p.m.

• Prince Askew