Beware of the Spring Fever spreading

This is the time of year when colds, flus and other illnesses thrive. The trip that would usually be taken in the Aggie Escort shuttle to Sebastian Courtyard to hang out with some friends now turns into a trip to the Sebastian Health Center to hang out, with some meds.

Sneezing, coughing, sore throat and nasal congestion are some of the primary signals that indicate that you have fallen victim to the inevitable and infamous spring fever. Taking precaution is essential to preventing these symptoms.

“You really can’t avoid it, because it’s simply cold and flu season. Precaution is the best medicine”, says Bettye Young-Stewart, the Assistant Director of Operations and Compliance in the Sebastian Health Center.

Among the many other individuals in the community, she has also been affected by the season and has come down with a cough.

Young-Stewart asserts that some of the other vital factors involve keeping yourself hydrated and knowing how to cough, which means coughing into your sleeve opposed to in the air or your hands. But, what she emphasizes mostly is the importance of keeping your hands clean.

Or in her words, “wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands.” In fact, as soon as you walk into the health center, to the right of you will be a poster on the wall titled Wash Your Hands to Prevent Colds, Flu and other illnesses that gives you detailed instructions on when and how to properly wash your hands.

The top diagnoses for this time of year include upper-respiratory diseases, flu-like illnesses and viral illnesses, according to Yvonne H. Parks who is the Nurse Supervisor for the health center.

If you visit the health center with symptoms of an illness occurring, you will be given a sheet of instructions that will guide you through the steps that should be taken to properly treat your illness.

For example, if you are diagnosed with an upper respiratory infection it will insist that you drink plenty of liquids, up to three quarts of water a day, juices or ginger ale, along with a few other procedures.

Furthermore, one of the key factors that Parks discussed is the issue of many people not knowing how to dress appropriately for the weather.

“Spring time is almost the time to shed the coats and jackets and such, but it’s windy out there and especially at night it gets cold so you still need to bundle up,” said Parks.

She also goes on to reinforce the importance of washing your hands, coughing into your sleeve, staying hydrated, keeping hand sanitizer with you at all times, eating light foods and taking ibuprofen to suppress any aching.

All of these procedures will help recuperate and prevent the spread of any illness or disease.

Overall let’s face it, nothing is worse than being in class trying to give an oral presentation while suffering from a sore throat or coming in contact with a campus crush while trying to conceal a runny nose.

So to prevent these things from happening, take precaution. You can put away the hefty winter coat, but keep the cardigans and jackets in the closet for just a little while longer.

Most importantly, always keep your hands clean. If you have any further concerns or questions do not be afraid to visit the Sebastian Health Center to get some more information.

The caring personnel will be more than happy to assist you.

–Email [email protected] and follow us on Twitter @TheATRegister

• Charles Johnson, Contributor