Museum reflects on its anniversary

Today marks not only the anniversary of four young men who

sparked change throughout the country, but it also marks the

anniversary of a museum that strives to serve as an educational

beacon to the people.

Today marks not only the anniversary of four young men who sparked change throughout the country, but it also marks the anniversary of a museum that strives to serve as an educational beacon to the people.

The International Civil Rights Center & Museum opened its doors two years ago today, and since the first visitors toured this former department store in downtown Greensboro, they have educated over 65,000 patrons.

“I’m proud of what we’ve done,” said Lolita Watkins, curatorial program associate. “We started out initially with a goal of making sure we had programs that were of interest to those of our community in terms of youth, adults, and life-long learners, and I think we’ve done a good job of encompassing these communities.”

Sparked out of the heels of the sit-in movement, this museum provides an in-depth look into the civil rights era -particularly the movement in Greensboro.

This museum houses historical exhibits and numerous artifacts including the famous counter where the A&T four sat as well as documents that portray the dismantling of segregation in the south.

According to Watkins, the museum not only serves as a historical reference, but also as an institution of learning. Throughout the year, the museum holds numerous panels, events, as well as the Saturday Children’s Story Hour in which they recruit local familiar faces to have story time with a group of children such as former mayor Yvonne Johnson.

On Feb. 11, Tabelech Shipp, founder and director of MYGEMS Science Center will read Ron’s Big Mission by Corinne Naden and Don Tate. This is the story of a famous black astronaut who called N.C. A&T home – Ronald McNair.

“We try to incorporate books that would tell the journey of civil rights in which they can easily identify with,” said Watkins. “We’ve had people from all walks of life come and role model and share with the young people their own stories and personal experiences.”

With an abundance of service learning opportunities that the museum gives back, they also take time to reflect on the efforts of four men.

As a way to celebrate this year’s anniversary of The A&T Four, the museum is hosting a conversation with Dudley High School teachers tonight at 7 p.m..

This discussion will be a reflection from teacher’s who were actively teaching from 1940 to 1970.

Also a display of the history of Dudley High School will be available starting today.

Not only were students at A&T involved with the civil rights movement, but also their younger peers at nearby Dudley High School.

“We joined the sit-in movements too,” said exhibit organizer Brenda Dalton-James of the National Dudley Alumni Association and ’67 graduate of A&T. “We were the ones that carried on the movement when the A&T students went on spring break, and we picked it up and carried it on until they came back. We were there during the summer too.”

Although only two years old, the museum has seen its fair share of challenges.

In the first year of operation, six full-time employees no longer are employed with the museum including Amelia Parker, the museum’s executive director. Curator and program director Bamidele Demerson replaced her last April.

“Naturally when you have a change in staff you have to make sure you have people in place to continue the mission of the museum,” said Watkins. “You look forward and move forward, and that’s what we’ve done here at the museum.”

Despite challenge, this museum continues to grow and become more known throughout the world.

“This is a place where people should feel comfortable to come to learn about issues that affect people in terms of Civil Rights,” said Watkins. “I hope that our children, students, and adults look at themselves as life long learners and come to a place that’s historic because of what four young men did on February 1, 1960.”

[email protected] and follow her on Twitter @Kelcie_McCrae

• Kelcie McCrae, Editor in Chief