Coach on QB position: ‘the best man will play’

When North Carolina A&T head coach Alonzo Lee decided to bench his starting quarterback against Hampton on Saturday, it sparked an open competition that appeared to be over prior to the season opener.

Lee said every position on the team is open to competition every week, including quarterback.

Senior Carlton Fears was replaced by freshman Lewis Kindle at the start of the fourth quarter as Fears struggled to move the offense after throwing a touchdown in the second quarter.

And with the Aggies pinned in their own territory and trailing 17-7, the quarterback swap only made matters worse for them.

The inexperienced freshman threw a crucial interception that was returned for a touchdown, increasing Hampton’s lead to 24-7 and putting the Aggies down by three possessions in the final quarter.

But the costly turnover still did not faze Lee – to him it was a bigger picture behind the substitution.

“We put him in some heat and he’ll learn from the heat,” Lee said about Kindle’s season debut.

“He came off after he threw that interception and I said son, hey – you know, just regroup.”Lee said coming in with the freshman quarterback could help the players and the offense improve as a unit.

“The objective is about production – it’s not about a guy,” Lee said.

Despite Kindle’s sluggish start, he does not feel any added pressure in competing to take over the starting duties.

“You always wanna learn and do whatever you have to do for the team,” Kindle said.

“That’s my mindset.”

And this is not the first time A&T has replaced a starter with a freshman.

Having trouble finding consistency at the position in the recent past, the Aggies replaced former sophomore starter Herb Miller for redshirt-freshman Shelton Morgan in 2007 after Miller’s knee injury.

Including a stint by Wayne Campbell, the Aggies have started four different quarterbacks since 2006.

These quarterbacks have totaled just five wins and 25 touchdowns.

The team has not yet matched up against some of the better defenses in the MEAC this season.

Lee’s former defense at Morgan State ranked nationally last season and is set to host the Aggies in two weeks, and South Carolina State and Florida A&M are also waiting and allowing just 7.5 ppg. to MEAC opponents.

They are set to make their first roadtrip  to Coastal Carolina for the first time in the school’s history this Saturday.

Lee hopes that his guy will be determined as the season progresses.

“They both are getting the same amount of reps and the best man will play,” Lee said. said. 

• Daniel Henderson