Step show recount reveals new winner

Last week an error was discovered in the scoring of the

homecoming National Pan-Hellenic Council step show. After a recount

of the scoring data it was revealed that The Alpha Mu chapter of

Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. actually beat the Alpha Phi

chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. by one point.

Last week an error was discovered in the scoring of the homecoming National Pan-Hellenic Council step show. After a recount of the scoring data it was revealed that The Alpha Mu chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. actually beat the Alpha Phi chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. by one point.

The Office of Greek Life submitted the following statement on the issue:

“On Wednesday evening October 26, 2011, while doing a final review of the scoring data from the Homecoming Step Show, the Office of Greek Life discovered an error with the tabulation formula that was used to tally the scores for the step show participants. Once the error was verified with management, a retally of the scoring was completed for all groups. Unfortunately, this scoring error did result in a change in the overall outcome of the sorority competition, as it was determined that Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. should have been named the winner.”

“It feels good to know our hard work paid off. We had a lot to prove,” said Alpha Mu step-master Rayven Dulin.

The night of the step show the numbers were checked, verified and certified by the tally judge. According S. L. Burnette, director of the Office of Greek Life, their office noticed an error while reviewing the documents in order to process the prize money. It was an error in the formula used to calculate the scores that they noticed. They then retallied the scores.

The next day, Oct. 27, the Office of Greek Life met with both Alpha Phi and Alpha Mu to inform them of the error made.

“We accept full responsibility for this error and are deeply regretful for any confusion, pain, hurt or negative feelings it has caused,” said Burnette. “The Office of Greek Life must again apologize to both chapters for announcing the wrong team as the winner of the step show.”

“The mix-up is an unfortunate situation for both teams. They got to experience a win on stage that night, we didn’t. Most people won’t even know we won this year because not many people still care. The Office of Greek Life has to do better,” said Dulin.

The Office of Greek Life understands the affects of their mistake. “We appreciate their understanding of the change in outcome and the magnificent sportsmanship and support they have shown to each other upon being informed of the scoring error.”

The Office of Greek said they will take extra measures in the future to ensure that a mistake of this magnitude does not happen again in the future.

[email protected] and follow her on Twitter @YngBlkandFancy

• Slyvia Obell, Managing Editor