Every dog has its day – Aggies defeat South Carolina State

Today marked the 80th Battle of the Bulldogs between North Carolina A&T Aggies (4-3, 6-4) and South Carolina State (3-4, 4-6). As the season is whining down both teams look to improve and carry on some momentum for next season and bragging rights of the covenant trophy. SCSU leads A&T in the series (30-18-2). The Aggies stomp the Bulldogs 17 – 7

Neither the Aggies or the Bulldogs are eligible for the MEAC title this year but this is still a big game for both teams in this rivalry of the broader. Both teams playing for a chance to finish the season with a winning record, something that the Aggies has not had for the past nine years. This is also the first time in their last 12 meetings that the Aggies beat the Bulldogs.

The game started with a 96-yard kick return by the Bulldog’s Jakar Hamilton on the first play of the game. The Aggies second-ranked defense kept the Bulldogs from scoring any offensive points during the game. The Aggies special teams also played a role in keeping the Aggies in the game with two block field goals by D’vonte Graham in the first half.

The Aggies offense finally put points on the board when their 65-yard drive was capped off with a 22-yard field goal by Zach Cimaglia in the third quarter. The Aggies went on to take the lead after running back Ricky Lewis broke free for a 34-yard burst up the sideline for a touchdown.

The play that sealed the game came right after the ensuing kick return when Bulldogs quarterback tossed the ball to his receiver in the flat for what seemed like a dropped pass but the ball was still live. Aggies cornerback, D’Vonte Graham, then picked up the ball for a 10-yard fumble return.

“It’s just instinct really,” said Graham about the play that sealed the win for A&T. “Whenever you see a bubble screen or any type of play behind the line of scrimmage, we practice if the ball hits the ground, pick it up. I mean what does it hurt us if the play is blown dead? I just scooped it up. Why not try to score?”

The Aggies will close out the 2012 season against archrival N.C. Central in Durham for the Aggie-Eagle Classic on Nov. 17 at 2 p.m. This will be Coach Broadway’s first time returning to NCCU, where he used to be head coach, since 2007. A win will set the tone for the Aggie football program for years to come.

• Paul Smith, Contributor