Conquering culture shock while studying abroad

(ARA) – As American students prepare to work in the global economy, many are leaving home to gain international experience and exposure. In fact, according to a study by the Institute of International Education, the number of American students studying abroad has more than doubled over the past decade.

“Attending classes abroad – whether for a summer term, a full semester or a year – has valuable benefits that prepare students for careers in an increasingly global economy and can improve their marketability once in the job market,” says Aleksandra Hulisz, associate director of admissions for the American InterContinental University (AIU) Study Abroad Program, which offers students the opportunity to study at AIU London or in Florence or Paris. “But students should also prepare themselves for potential feelings of homesickness and culture shock that may set in shortly after arrival.”

When living in a new country, students need to adapt to the culture, customs and being away from loved ones. Many find it a stressful mix to balance, but Hulisz feels the benefits of studying abroad are worth it. To help cope with culture shock and homesickness Hulisz offers these tips:

* Expect things to be different in a different country. When you feel stressed or uncomfortable about your new environment, try not to blow things out of proportion. Put things into perspective and try to understand why it is different.

* Make friends through favorite activities. Get involved in school activities and join clubs of interest. For instance, the AIU cultural activities team plans day, evening and weekend excursions that are designed to complement the education taught in the classroom.

* Know that everyone experiences some culture shock. Talk with an instructor or adviser if you feel overwhelmed or alone. The truth of the matter is that many students feel this way when living in a foreign country – so don’t be afraid to share your feelings as you adapt to your new home.

* Try not to label differences as good or bad. Instead, see them merely as “different.” Remember that immersing yourself in a different culture is a beneficial aspect of studying abroad and embrace the opportunity to experience a new country.

* If class work is proving too difficult, seek help from a school administrator. The stress of adapting to a new culture in addition to taking classes can become overwhelming. Seek study abroad programs that offer special support to help students in their studies. For example, AIU offers tutoring, student services, advisers and a learning center.

“Studying abroad is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity that students should take advantage of,” says Hulisz. “It’s an enlightening experience that allows students to experience all the world has to offer.”