Fun in Florida for those with grown-up tastes

Believe it or not, it is possible to have fun in Florida without seeing a single cartoon character or car race. If your tastes run a bit more grown up than spending buckets of cash in theme parks or watching a bunch of dudes make perpetual left turns going really fast, you may enjoy knowing more about the historic, cultural and artistic attractions the sunshine state has to offer.

Cheap flights to Florida put a number of outstanding cities within easy reach this summer. Whether your goal is to savor the authentic Cuban culture and cuisine found in Miami, bask in the rich arts scene of Orlando, or give your national pride a boost in the navy town of Pensacola, you’ll find plenty of sophisticated fun in Florida.

Here are three can’t-miss Florida cities for grown-up fun:

Miami – The city’s large Cuban population and wonderful art deco architecture make it a feast for the senses. The best Miami vacation packages should always encompass meals in some of the city’s authentic Cuban restaurants (and a few cups of eye-opening Cuban coffee) and a tour of the Art Deco Historic District – the largest 20th century historic district on the National Register. You’ll find more than 800 historic buildings constructed during the ’20s, ’30s and ’40s. A guided tour can help bring the district’s vibrant history and architectural significance to life.

Orlando – No, it’s not just about the mouse or cinema-themed parks or even performing sea mammals. Orlando has a powerful local arts scene that ensures you can fill your time there without ever setting foot into a theme park. Founded in 1924, the Orlando Museum of Art is widely recognized as one of the best art museums in the South. Plus, the city offers numerous galleries displaying the work of local artists and craftsmen. And if you get tired of strolling the city’s arts scene, you can always enjoy the fine artwork displayed in the lobbies of many Orlando hotels.

Pensacola – Home of the Pensacola Naval Air Station, this city poised on the Gulf of Mexico offers a unique opportunity to enjoy some of the best beach and weather in Florida and polish your patriotic pride at the same time. No Pensacola vacation would be complete without a visit to the National Museum of Naval Aviation. You’ll find more than 150 restored aircraft, engaging exhibits and thousands of artifacts from throughout the proud history of aviation by the Navy, Marine and Coast Guard. Visit this summer, and you might be able to catch the legendary Blue Angels at a practice air show.