Bad call from gov’t on gun law

Sometimes, I think that those in governing positions get bored. What happens when you are bored? You do unintelligent things (make unintelligent decisions).

Perfect example, signing legislation to allow concealed weapons to be carried into bars, restaurants and other places that sell liquor, parks, playgrounds, public recreation areas, funeral processions, and parades along with any other place that does not forbid it.  

You can also leave them locked in your trunk at public schools and universities. Crazy right? Well, CBS News and the Charlotte Observer reported this summer that North Carolina has approved a bill that allows just that. The heat must have gotten to them this summer, because there is no way someone in their right mind could logically evaluate this bill and decide that it is a good bill to pass.

Let’s recall some events. There was a Columbine in 1999, Virginia Tech in 2007, Northern Illinois in 2008, Sandy Hook in 2012, Boston marathon bombing in 2013 and countless bar fights and shootings that occurred throughout the United States.

Most of these occurrences have not received a lot of publicity. Have we not learned anything from these events?

Along with this bill, the Winston-Salem Journal notes that patrons who have a license to carry are required to have a background check and the state is required to report any information about mental-health and substance-abuse court findings to the national instant criminal background check system.

After this bill was passed in North Carolina, Laurrissa Armstrong, a teacher, was killed by her estranged husband almost a month later as reported by the High Point Enterprise.

Armstrong tried getting an order of protection against her husband multiple times and they were all rejected, ultimately leading to her death.

What’s the problem? He may have had a license to carry, but was he diagnosed as mentally ill at that time? Were there any records of substance abuse reported to the court?

That’s the problem; there is no real way to regulate gun control. Just because you are not a substance abuser or mentally ill at the time of registration does not omit the possibility of ever becoming one.

Although you do not have a license to carry does not mean you are not capable of getting your hands on an illegal firearm somehow, some way.

Mayor Allen Joines of Winston-Salem told the Winston-Salem Journal; “Winston-Salem police officers are concerned about the legislation and the potential for serious injury to innocent bystanders.”

They should be. Guns do not mix well with anger, but mixing guns with anger and alcohol will raise an even bigger issue. Not only will it raise the murder/manslaughter rate in North Carolina, but every suspect will probably cry self-defense.     

They have a license to carry, do not have a record of mental illness or substance abuse and probably felt threatened at the moment and reacted in an act of defense.

I am not saying someone is right or someone is wrong, but the North Carolina government has something messed up.

I suggest they take a furlough day or two, spend time with their family and maybe even go to a few bars at night, sit in a park, or join a funeral procession, then come back to the drawing board. Maybe they will see things from a different perspective then.

—Email Kimberly at [email protected] and follow us on twitter @TheATRegister

• Kimberly Fields, Reporter