A&T gets the rapper instead

The A&T radio station, WNAA 90.1FM, hosted a meet and greet Oct. 25 which was supposed to feature Lloyd, the R&B singer, in Exhibit Hall.

Exhibit Hall was filled with students anticipating singer Lloyd  to be in attendance but to the surprise of the audience, Enzima Murphy, office manager of WNAA and advisor of WNAA street team announced that Lloyd Banks was coming instead.

WNAA street team is the group responsible for bringing celebrities to make appearances on campus.

“When you have more than one artist that go by the same name, and eveytime the management always mentioned Lloyd, not Lloyd Banks, everyone figured it was the singer,” said Murphy.

The crowd was confused by the news but the crowd was still just as excited to see Banks.

When Banks entered Exhibit Hall, the crowd started to cheer and taking out their cell phones to take pictures of the star.

Murphy summed up the situation, “Since both are pretty much established artists, we still had a good turnout.”

Lloyd Banks opened with a question and answer portion then, signed autographs and took pictures with fans.

Nicole Reynolds, Miss Junior, a business education major, from Winston Salem, NC and  was very excited to see the rapper.

“It was a good opportunity… it is nice to see that he defeats the stereotypes people make about him and that he is about his money and a good business man.”  

Reynolds said she would like to have other events like this on campus she said jokingly, “Definitely… as long they are free.”

William Harmon, a senior business major from Oxon Hill, MD, thought that Banks was very down to Earth.

“Yeah he is very inspirational… to see a rapper come and talk to us college kids and encourage us to follow our dreams.”

Harmon also, said that he is a  Lloyd Banks fan.  

The crowd thought that having Banks do a meet and greet on campus was a great experience. Banks seemed to be very relaxed and eager to answer questions.

He  elaborated on his personal experiences and on balancing his personal life and career.

“You have to be groomed with artist development to take you through balancing out your career,” said Banks.

He also mentioned that it is all about your upbringing and that you have to allow yourself to grow as a person and as a artist. “Hunger for More 2,” Banks new album following the prelude “Hunger for More Pt. 1,” comes out Nov. 22.

After leaving A&T’s campus, Banks tweeted from his verified account “Much love to everyone at A&T in NC!”

Banks will be collaborating with many artists such as Eminem, Kanye West, Lloyd  the R&B singer, Akon and Fabulous just to name a few.

“The album is pretty wrapped up… and I am making new music for 2010,” said Banks.

For more information on Lloyd Banks new album and tour dates, go to www.thisis50.com.

• Sejal Chappell