Classic storylines are losing potency due to reversioning

Vampires, werewolves, and witches, oh my! Pop culture is always searching for the next big trend. With the conclusion of the “Twilight” series, teens and young adults find themselves asking what is next.

The answer seems to be action packed fairy tale movies. The premiere of “Hansel and Gretel” is right around the corner.

Parents will be surprised to see that this story is not quite like the one they remember from childhood. The characters are all grown up and they are kicking butt!  The trend of taking classic fairy tales and twisting the story is not as innovative as one may think.

These storylines are the original tales and not the sunshine and rainbow Disney renditions.

“Snow White and the Huntsman” got rave reviews in the box office. The story portrayed her as a zealous leader who led the way to slaying the queen.

The “Snow White” movie was dark, action filled, and gritty. This is the complete opposite of the colorful Disney version.

However, as opposite as both versions were “Snow White and the Huntsman” was much closer to the original.

Many classic fairy tales have been administered the Disney face lift. It would be appealing to children if they actually knew that the “Little Mermaid” was a little suicidal. In the Disney version of “The Little Mermaid,” Ariel and Eric sail into the sunset after their wedding and live happily ever after.

However, in the original, the prince marries a different princess. When the mermaid realizes, she becomes depressed and wishes to return to the sea. The only way she can return is to have a drop of blood from the prince drip on her legs to change her back. When she cannot bring herself to kill her true love she drowns herself in the ocean.

Even more surprising is the tale of “Sleeping Beauty.” In the Disney version, the brave prince slays the dragon guarding the castle, kisses the princess, and they live happily ever after.

“Sleeping Beauty” is the most extreme Disney remake. In the original tale the princess has been asleep for 100 years then someone comes to rescue her.

When they do arrive, the prince rapes her and nine months later she gives birth to two. While she is asleep. The princess is actually awaken by one of the children only to find herself a new teen mom.

What does all of this say about our fairy tales and realities? It can be easy to become engulfed in the fairy tales of specific situations or people. Do a little digging, and I am sure the truth will surprise you. A prince and princess riding off into the sunset does not always guarantee happiness.

Disney should do a “Where Are They Now” follow up on their princesses. I can only imagine how many of them would be bitter and divorced.

Just because he is a prince does not mean he cannot be a jerk. Just because you have the castle it does not mean you have a home. What is your happily ever after?

-Email us at theatregister @gmail.com and follow The A&T Register on Twitter @TheATRegister

• Kourtney Pope, Contributor