Aggies express concerns through awareness march

On Friday, Aggies gathered for a campus awareness march of empowerment to discuss issues and concerns to the Board of Trustees. Coordinated by junior economics major, Folarin Ogunsemowo and sophomore industrial systems engineering major, Chris Montague, their soul purpose was to voice student issues directly, but more importantly show that students care about the university’s image and program failures.

“We decided that it would be most beneficial that the march be a grassroots movement,” said Ogunsemowo. “We as students are working on a solution to repaint our school’s image in continuing on our legacy,” added Montague.

Ogunsemowo and Montague wanted to show that students have the most influential voice among the university and it does not take Student Government Association or Student University Activities Board leaders to make change.

Ogunsemowo and Montague reached out to SGA president, Allahquan Tate, to assist them in talking to the Board of Trustees. “Problems must be addressed now, resolved over the summer and forgotten by the start of the new academic year so that SGA and SUAB can regain power, unify the student body to prevent anymore “unorganized” events such as Friday’s,” said Ogunsemowo.

SGA, SUAB and other organizations discussed problems regarding student funds, programming, safety and the A&T’s image on a national level. “We are asking the Chancellor and the Board of Trustees why certain actions take place in the university,” said Andreia Graddick, Vice President of SUAB. “We want answers.”

Students marched from the union quad to the alumni foundation events center to meet with Chancellor Martin, Vice Chancellor of Student Affairs, Melody Pierce, Vice Chancellor of Business and Finance, Robert Pompey and interim Provost and Vice Chancellor of Student Affairs, Winsor Alexander.

This was the first time Chancellor Martin heard of the issued presented to him. “I would like to hear about these problems, but in the appropriate venue so we can respond and make sure things can get answered,” said Martin. “There are a lot of unresolved pieces of this conversation that we all ought to get our arms around.”

Throughout the conversation, Martin expressed that students can reach out to him, but in a proper protocol. “I meet with Allahquan Tate {SGA President} at least every other week to talk about these kind of matters. He is one voice for you who has my ear all the times,” he said. “We will absolutely continue this discussion.”

Pompey along with Martin was unaware of the students coming but it was made aware once students started walking to the building. Pompey stated that budget decisions related to different organizations are made within the Division of Student Affairs. Ultimately, students wanted answers as to why programs were being canceled.

For resolutions to the matter, Pompey feels the concerns that students have need to be voiced to Student Government leadership. “They should voice their concerns with the expectation that the SGA will continue to voice the concerns of the students to the administration,” he said.

Pompey expressed that if there are any concerns, students should address their concerns with the manager over that organization or the person that they may have concerns with. “Dr. Pierce is a strong advocate for all students. She would be welcome to receive feedback on any concerns,” he said.

He recommends that students continue to attend forums that SGA provides throughout the year for administration to hear issues from students. At the same time, he expressed that students continue to leverage the SGA and communicate their concerns.

“We look forward to continue dialogue with our students in the future,” he said.

A suggested solution to further this discussion was to have a town meeting once a month for students and the board to address and resolve any problems.

“I think it was not very effective. I felt it was a good idea,” said Imani Randolph, a senior psychology major from Richmond. “Overall, I think both parties, the chancellor and executive board were prepared to respond to our questions as well as more time for us to cultivate our ideas to bring to the chancellor today, it would have been better.”

SGA President elect, Canisha Cierra Turner feels this was not a fail for students, but instead, a learning point.

“It was a work in progress and now I know coming in next year, that I am a vocal avenue for my students,” said Turner. “I have to have an open door policy so when issues like this happen, we don’t have to worry about unorganized events to our upper administration.”

“They come to me, we brainstorm solutions and then we take it to the next step. It charged me to get into office and do what I need to do for my students and be the voice for my students,” she added.

Turner went on to state, “Realistically, the school year is coming to a close. It will be the very beginning of next year when school opens in August so upper administration can think on the front end.”

She intends on addressing these issues at the beginning of the year. By addressing the problems at the beginning of the year, solutions can be generated in implemented throughout the year. “August when we get back, we are hitting the ground work.”

Due to an untimely response, the remarks from Allahquan Tate were not able to be included, these remarks will be added online later today.

[email protected]

and follow us on Twitter

@ATRegister

• Erik Veal, Editor-in-Chief