Homecoming: prepping for a repeat

It is a well-known fact that N.C. A&T has the Greatest Homecoming on Earth, but it was not until last year that the football team has lived up to the hype.

Last season, the Aggies finally got over the hump and broke their homecoming losing streak against the Hornets of Delaware State, in a 42-24 victory.

This year the Aggies (1-3, 3-4) will play the Norfolk State Trojans (0-5, 2-6), and the team is looking for similar results for this year’s game. Many credited Head Coach Rod Broadway and wide receiver Larry Raper’s three-touchdown performance for last year’s homecoming victory.

Before the 2011 season, the Aggies were on a seven-year homecoming losing streak. So with team morale, MEAC standings, and the very essence of Aggie Pride itself, what are the Aggies doing this year to prepare for back-to-back homecoming victories?

“We have more important things to worry about than homecoming and its festivities… our focus is to keep building our team to be better,” Broadway expressed after last week’s shut out loss to Delaware State 24 – 0.

One of Broadway’s plans for this week’s game is to change up the starting line-up.

The biggest change in personnel will be the kicker position. Sophomore kicker Jose Garcia-Camacho will replace the struggling freshman kicker Zach Cimaglia. “When you have the same guys making the same mistakes over and over again it is time for a change,” said Broadway.

“Cimaglia has been struggling for the past couple of weeks, so we will have Garcia-Camacho kicking field goals and extra points for this week’s game.”

With the Aggies being hot one week and ice cold the next, one of the biggest questions for Broadway is, “Will we win homecoming?”

Although he did guarantee a win, he eluded that they have a chance against a losing Norfolk State team that came in this year being number one in the MEAC.

“Norfolk State, like us, is a good team that for some reason cannot collect wins. I believe it is going be a good game,” said Broadway.

A&T leads the series between Norfolk State 27-11 and this will be the first time the two take battle in Aggie Stadium for homecoming. Game time is at 1:30 p.m.

[email protected] and follow him on Twitter @padagreat

• Paul Smith, Contributor