Aggies survive Bison scare

WASHINGTON, D.C. — Two of the rising teams in the MEAC met last Monday, fighting for a higher position in the MEAC. The Aggies of N.C. A&T may be the hottest team in the league, entering the contest with three straight wins and wins in seven of their last nine games. Howard, however, entered with a shaky 7-10 overall record, 5-3 MEAC, but upset highly touted South Carolina State 68-66 a few days earlier. The result of this contest? A&T 75, Howard 70. It took an entire half to awaken the Aggies as they got off to a slow start that nearly cost them later in the game. The Aggies shot only 38 percent in the first half while yielding 52 percent to Howard. Things would change drastically in the second half. A&T came out very aggressive on offense and defense. Junior forward Bruce Jenkins led the way for the Aggies, scoring 24 points and pulling down 12 rebounds. The player of the game, though, had to be sophomore guard Landon Beckwith. Beckwith showed up in the second half, turning in 13 points and helping A&T to shoot 61 percent while holding Howard to 31 percent in the second half. “We needed something to pick us up in the second half,” said Aggie head coach Curtis Hunter. “Landon gave us a big spark and Bruce has been big since returning from his back injury.” The win pushes the Aggies to 9-8 overall, 6-2 in the MEAC and sole possession of second place in the MEAC. It was the fourth consecutive win for the streaking Aggies and the eighth win in their last 10 games.A&T hosts Delaware State this evening in the Corbett Center, then travels to Florida A&M on Feb. 10.