Aggies fall to Citadel in competitive match

The Aggie

volleyball team played their first home match of the season against

The Citadel Bulldogs in Corbett Sports Center on Sept.

15.

The Aggie volleyball team played their first home match of the season against The Citadel Bulldogs in Corbett Sports Center on Sept. 15.

The military college of South Carolina gave the Aggies a run for their money in an intense three set game.  Whichever team won the best 3 out of 5 matches would prevail and on Sept. 15, it was the Bulldogs.

With several strong spikes and a few throw away points, Citadel took the first match 25-13. The Aggies came back strong in the second game, meanwhile 40 minutes into the game and well into the second match one “line caller” referee, who is actually A&T’s swim coach, showed up.

The second game went to Citadel 25-15. After a break, the women come back into the game full throttle and gained their first lead of the evening with a score of 8-7. The Aggies are able to keep their lead due to Citadel’s careless mistakes. More than half way through the set, an intense rally between the teams filled with extreme hits and vicious digs by both sides took place.  With the point going to the Aggies, A&T kept their lead 18-15.

After a time out, the Aggies lost their lead of 20-19 and the game tied 24-24 shortly after. The match ended with Citadel winning the last game 27-25.

Junior Andrea Evans led the Aggies with five kills and four block assists. Sophomore Jeana Daniels added five kills and a season-high 11 digs.

Although the Bulldogs had 14 players on roster and the Aggies only had 6, the women, “worked hard and showed a lot of heart,” said Devonte’ Reese, A&T sophomore outside hitter. Six players are needed on the court at all times, so A&T’s women did not get a break the entire match.

The team, composed of mainly sophomores, is still young and trying to gain their game chemistry.  Sophomore player Tatiana Cooper felt that, “a lot of heart and effort,” was left out on the court. She went on to say how great she thought it was that, “everyone was out there getting experience.”  Although the team lost, their spirits were still high and the women are optimistic about the remainder of the season.

Head Coach Hal Clifton still remained confident in his players. “They played with a lot of intensity and sustained the intensity.” He went on to express how excited he was to be here for the first home match and then gave kudos to the, “good crowd and great atmosphere.”

When asked about the team only having the six players required to play, Coach Clifton explained the team has four more possible players coming onto the roster, but they are going through NCAA regulations at the moment. He has hopes to have the new players on the team as soon as possible.

The next home Aggie Volleyball game will be Wednesday, Sept. 21 at 6 p.m. against the UNCG Spartans

• PaShara Black, Contributor