CNN Interview digs Brown in a deeper hole

Chris Brown’s interview on Larry King Live had to be one of the most anticipated interviews in a while. Most people tuned in to watch Brown’s interview because it was his first one since his fight with ex- girlfriend, Rihanna back in February. It was smart of Brown to wait until after the court case to do an interview, but the results from it made his situation look worse.

Now I’ll admit it, before this happened, I was the biggest Chris Brown fan. Chris Brown was at the height of his career. He was the biggest teen heartthrob, had two number one albums, he had endorsements, movies, TV show appearances and became America’s golden boy.

Before Feb. 8, 2008, Chris Brown could do no wrong. However, when the facts were exposed about Brown’s confrontation, he was forced to take responsibility and pay the price for his actions by pleading guilty and accepting his sentence like a man.

With the court case behind him, the interview would have been the perfect way for Brown to clear the air and move on. Instead, last Wednesday America watched as Brown made numerous mistakes and gave the worst interview in his career. Not even his strongest haters were expecting it to be a huge flop.

Brown’s first mistake was his attire for the interview. Brown wore a powder blue sweater and with a matching bow tie. Yes, it looked as bad as it sounds. It was so bad,  Chris Brown’s bowtie was the number one trending topic on Twitter afterwards.  Brown also made himself appear to be childlike by choosing to have his mother and lawyer sitting on both sides of him during the interview. He should have been a man and did the interview on his own. His lawyer spoke more than he did.

When King asked Brown’s mother about the violence she experienced in her past, she broke down crying.  This occurred within the first 10 minutes of the interview. She only contributed information about her relationship with Rihanna. Brown’s mother said she knew Rihanna for three or four years; giving us greater insight on how long Rihanna and Brown were really dating.

She said they are very close, like family and they actually spoke after the incident. Rihanna said, “I’m fine mom, I’m fine,” and ended with “mom, I love you” and she replied, “I love you too.”

Brown’s ultimate mistake was not answering the most important questions. When asked about what happened in the car, he acted like he did not remember. Later in the interview he said he did not want to answer out of respect for Rihanna. “I owe it to her not to give out our personal information,” Brown said. Respecting her privacy is understandable, but he could have told his perspective from that night.

Brown also gave an unclear explanation of his actions. He said they were both young and no one taught them how to love each other or deal with their anger. The fact that he grew up witnessing domestic violence makes it hard to believe he did not know his actions were wrong.

I give him credit for accepting his penalty and admitting his feelings about the restraining order. He said his sentence is fair because “everything comes with consequences.” However, he said following the order would be difficult because he and Rihanna have such a long relationship.

Brown also said being in the same industry also leaves room for people to gossip, which would put him at risk of legal trouble. His lawyer then backed him up saying that they are going to take every precaution to make sure they do follow the restraining order, no matter how hard it is to track where Rihanna may be. Besides those few pieces of information, we did not learn much from the interview.

Chris Brown should not have accepted the invitation to go on Larry King Live if he was not going to give a legitimate interview. The interview went so bad not even his biggest fans, like me, could defend it. I am afraid this interview may have buried him deeper, creating a harder comeback for his career.      

• Sylvia Obell